Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Brown Envelope Came Yesterday

Rate this question

HvyGns38

Question

The brown envelope came yesterday and I was very surprised and a tad bit disappointed at the outcome.

First, they rated my PTSD at 70%, the highest possible since I am gainfully employed. However, they denied my Meneire's disease saying that my last diagnoses was in 1997 from a civilian doctor and there is nothing in my SMR to indicate Meniere's, only hearing loss. So, I have one year to see an ENT and get him to connect my military service with Meniere's or that was the onset of the disease was from military service.

Very surprised at the high PTSD rating especially since I am employed. While I struggle daily with my demons, I am still pleasantly surprised.

PTSD = 70%

Right knee = 50%

Hearing loss = 10%

Tinitus = 10%

Total = 90%

Thank you sooooo much to everyone who had the patience to answer my questions!!! I'm sure I will have more!! :)

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey Pete. . .I understand what you are saying. However, i have read on here before that people that are 100% still work. They just do not fill out the TDIU paperwork. I personally am not looking for TDIU. I have to work for my own sanity. If I am left to my own means without anything to do, I will drive myself crazy.

I guess what I am saying is that my vertigo episodes and my diagnosis of Meniere's from a civilian doctor equals 60% according to the VA handbook. Now, according to the VA fuzzy math that equates to 95.85 or 100% rounded up.

I am not looking for 100% for my PTSD and was very surprised that it was that high.

Does this make sense or should I not pursue anything else and be happy with what I have?

I guess what I am saying is that my vertigo episodes and my diagnosis of Meniere's from a civilian doctor equals 60% according to the VA handbook. Now, according to the VA fuzzy math that equates to 95.85 or 100% rounded up.

I am not looking for 100% for my PTSD and was very surprised that it was that high.

Does this make sense or should I not pursue anything else and be happy with what I have?

So check the combined rating chart or check the calculator on Hadit.com, in order to get to at least 95 you will need another disability that is rated as 60% just to hit that 95 to round off to 100%

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get 100% and you are not P&T that means that you will get called in for another C&P exam at some point. If they ask if you are working and you say "yes" I think the VA is going to re-evaluate your 100% rating. If your disabilites were all of the physical variety then the 100% would probably be ok. Even so you know to get 100% from the VA you have to really be disabled. Maybe Max Cleland can get work as a triple amputee and be 100%, but most of the rest of us are unable to work. If you have 70% for PTSD and get to the 100% mark I think you will always be in danger of being reduced if you are working. If you really must work then I would quit while I was ahead with 90%. This way you never have to lie or hide facts from the VA. I think you were very lucky to get 70% for PTSD and be able to work full time. I would not want to have that rating looked at again if I continue to work. May I ask how old you are? If you are not 100% for a single disability it is very hard to actually get to 100%. I got 70%,60% and five 10% ratings and I only got 90%.

Thanks for all the replies.

John999 - I am 41 y/o. I hear what you are saying about getting to 100% with multiple disabilities. I have a 70, 50, 10, 10 and sitting at 90%.