Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu And Voc Rehab

Rate this question

witchhouse

Question

If I get my 100% PTSD or IU can I get voc rehab. I am unemployable because I can not deal with people I have random outbursts of Rage. I would like to go to school and learn Computer programming this is something I could do at home and more than likely become employable again. There are courses at a State school that has the courses online. Would this be allowed as I am not employable now in the workplace but I believe I could be productive from my home with some education. I really don't want to retire I would like to become Gainfully employed.

Thanks in advance

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get 100% or IU forget about Voc Rehab. The best thing to do would be to educate yourself and keep the VA out of it or you may ultimately risk your 100% money. I would tread carefully if I am IU regarding work.

Well you can get Voc Rehab, but have you filed for TDIU? If so then why did you file for TDIU, why not just go straight for Voc Rehab. If you already had a rating. Plus at Voc. Rehab, you have to take a few battery of tests to determine what your aptitude and interests are in. Don't worry, if you get 100% PTSD, you really won't be employable, or reliable. Believe me I have tried 3 different businesses, and they all failed due to PTSD> No it wasn't even the people really, it was meeting deadlines, or even trying to get out of bed for appointments. If you get 100% PTSD your really pretty bad off if you look at the ratings schedule. Also Computer Programming isnt exactly a hot fielf right now. IT Services such as Network Adminstration and things are, but the programming changes so much anymore, you become a dinosaur before you even finish school. I had an uncle who was a programmer. Now he drives trucks. You can search a few posts on here from the search button you may find a few more answers.

As you know their are some days that are good or workable with PTSD at least in my case. I for years never knew what was wrong. I have only worked 2 years out of the last ten and that was in sales. I in 1999 worked and did very well for about 6 months. I was top salesman for 3 months and then I got parinoid to talk to customers to the point that I was non productive and let go in Feb. of this year.

I was not able to communicate with customers and I would in the middle of a presentation I would forget where I was and what I was talking about. Then I would come to and be agitated.

This same patern happened to me in 2005 when I tried to go back to work. Now I do not leave my house other than go to the doctors a couple times a week. I am on the computer doing God knows what from

8 AM until I go to bed at 2 or 3 AM toss and turn for a couple of hours and fall asleep about 4AM.

My PTSD has gotten worse that is why I filed for TDIU. I had my C&P Exam two weeks ago and I believe that from what the Dr. said he agreed with my Psyciatrist Psycologist and PTSD group leader that I am unemployable. He told me that if I don't get 100% or IU to appeal right away.

I do not want to go out to pasture. I want to be a productive human being that is why I want to go to school. There are many things that I could do from home with the right education.

Well if you are awarded the TDIU it is the responsibility of the VARO to advise you of your rights to Vocational Rehab to see if it is "reasonably feasible" for you to perform some type of "substantially, gainful employment." I would make sure you get the IU before you put in for Voc Rehab, your file can only be in one place at a time.

I too was struggling with the fact that I cannot perform up to what I know I can do. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact, that "they ain't giving me the money for no reason". As hard as it is for me to accept, I and everyone else have to come to grips with their issues. Look at it like this. Say you get your education going and you do well for about 1.5 years. Your supposed to be able to work for a year, before it is considered gainful employment. Then all of a sudden you hit the wall again. Will you be able to provide for your family if the business is affected because of your Illness. That's the question you have to ask yourself. Like I said, I know it's a tough one. It only took me 3 failed businesses before I realized what was driving me down.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can get Voc Rehab with 10% if ytyour disability is the reason you are unemployable. At least that is the way it used to be.