Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu And Voc Rehab

Rate this question

witchhouse

Question

If I get my 100% PTSD or IU can I get voc rehab. I am unemployable because I can not deal with people I have random outbursts of Rage. I would like to go to school and learn Computer programming this is something I could do at home and more than likely become employable again. There are courses at a State school that has the courses online. Would this be allowed as I am not employable now in the workplace but I believe I could be productive from my home with some education. I really don't want to retire I would like to become Gainfully employed.

Thanks in advance

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

We all struggle with being disabled and with the legal limitations that puts on us regarding getting benefits etc. If anyone who is 100% or TDIU really believes that they can work through more education try it on your own dime for a while and see how it goes. Keep the VA's nose out of it until you are sure you can do it and be successful. If the VA finds out you are working with your PTSD or TDIU you are going to be a dead duck. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. I would work if I could but I consider what would happen to me and my wife if I lost my TDIU. You need to think long term on this. If I was 25 years old then I would try and go for it as I did when I was 25. I am 56 now and I am not the person I was and age discrimination is alive and well. All of us hate being put out to pasture before we are ready. Think carefully about what the consequences of your actions will have 10 years from now.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

I know a guy who was 10% and he got a teaching degree through voc rehab. He was not 100%. It was great for him but would not work for me. He had a military retirement as a Major in the Marines to help with the teacher's salary.

• HadIt.com Elder

Voc Rehab is one of the better programs that VA has and a fair way to access if you can go back to work. I think it is well worth the effort to know for sure.

As I calculate it it would take about $17.75 an hour to break even working. When I add Social Security it would be another $ 9.00 an hour so it would take a job that pays $26.75 an hour and Medical to replace what I have.

I am dead serious when I tell people that I work for the Government and they don't know it. I have helped 36 people get Social Security and or VA benefits.

By the way these calculation have been bumped 25% to account for taxes etc cause SS and VA are net after taxes if you know what I mean.

I am 64 yrs old and I would be retired anyway by the time that I finished whatever the voc rehab does. I put in for it a year or so ago and I couldn't make the appointment and I called and got answering machine to leave a message and I ask that the appointment to be rescheduled and when I got the message back, I was cancelled from the program as I failed to show up.

railroader

Guest DON20906

Be careful with the "making a few bucks" part. If you come to the attention of VA via their many income verification programs, you could risk losing your IU.

I am 90% with tdiu since May 99. I have applied for voc rehab twice since then. I was allowed into the Independant living program in 2001 and got a cheap "E machine" computer a four computer classes. My disabilities got worse, and I again applied for voc rehab in 2005, I again was allowed into the independant living program this time they are going to remodel my home (i just moved from texas) for my wheel chair, and set me up a wood working shop. The contractor comes next week to do a site recon of the work that needs to be done. After I get my shop set up I will make toys, scroll saw projects, etc and sell them at open air flea markets, or local events. The idea is to stay busy, but at the same time I can make a few bucks, get out of the house and meet people. I have really come to hate being stuck in the house, same old same old every day... who wants to live like this..... I know next week what I will be doing before I even do it... Anyway my point is that vocational rehabalitation is not just to set you up to go to work, and if you can't work you can ask for a program such as what I am getting.

Guest DON20906

The criteria for VocRehab are:

10% with a serious employment handicap or 20% with an employment handicap.

You can go to basketweaving class or medical school on it.

Pete

I know a guy who was 10% and he got a teaching degree through voc rehab. He was not 100%. It was great for him but would not work for me. He had a military retirement as a Major in the Marines to help with the teacher's salary.