VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To Hadit.com And Have Multiple Issues Going On

Rate this question

justrluk

Question

Hello to all-

I've really appreciated all the contributions many of you have made to other, less experienced members of this board. I've benefited a great deal. I have several issues in the works, all at different stages of development by the VA:

1. I was rated 40% for arthritis in knees (bilateral), reduced to 20% for a pre-service condition. I was in the service from 1984 - 2004, and don't understand this answer. Can anyone offer a suggestion? In looking at the initial decision (2005), the VA indicates that no prior service records were available, yet in a later decision (2009) for another condition, they list my service records from this period as being part of the decision.

2. How do you keep all your issues straight? My VSO is the DAV, and it's been hard to get status by calling in. I intend no disrespect; they work hard and have many Veterans in need of help. I can only imagine that they're overwhelmed with new Veterans daily. With their help, I've been rated at 90%, so I have nothing to complain about. I'm just looking/hoping for a way to keep track without having to wait weeks for ambiguous letters, calls or an emails. I use a spreadsheet as a calculator, but it would be great to have better status of where each issue is along the trail to resolution. Thanks to all!

My story:

20 years Air Force (Active, Reserve, Guard, IMA now Civilian)

90% schedular

· Knees (Bilateral; requested DRO hearing and am still waiting): 22%

· Migraines: 50%

· Bipolar Disorder: 30%

· Cervical Spine: 30%

· Psoriasis (still waiting for a response to request for increase): 10%

· Right Hemi-Colechtomy: 10%

· Tinnitus: 10%

· Psoriatic Arthritis: 10%

· Hearing Loss - Right Ear: 0%

· GERD (awaiting reconsideration decision): 0%

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

." I was rated 40% for arthritis in knees (bilateral), reduced to 20% for a pre-service condition."

Say what? 22%

Are you able to scan and post here as attachment exactly what the decision said? (cover personal info)

If you are rated under dx code 5256 Knee, ankylosis ofyou could achieve a 40% rating, otherwise the highest rating would be under dx code 5257 Knee, other impairment of:which would be 30% for Severe Recurrent subluxation or lateral instability.

The 22% you are currently awarded is due to the bi-latteral factor being applied: 10% of the 20% rating for the knees = 2 combined with the 20%=22.

If you don't know the dx code you were rated under, you can call the 800# or e-mail via iris.

Hope this makes sense

If you are rated under dx code 5256 Knee, ankylosis ofyou could achieve a 40% rating, otherwise the highest rating would be under dx code 5257 Knee, other impairment of:which would be 30% for Severe Recurrent subluxation or lateral instability.

The 22% you are currently awarded is due to the bi-latteral factor being applied: 10% of the 20% rating for the knees = 2 combined with the 20%=22.

If you don't know the dx code you were rated under, you can call the 800# or e-mail via iris.

Hope this makes sense

It certainly does. I was rated at 40%, reduced w/bilateral to 22%. The decision rating said they had no access to records prior to 2000, but in a later decision on another issue, treatment records from 1984 - 1989 (first tour) WERE referenced in the decision. I'm just wondering how long/hard it will be to get the 40%. I'll upload the initial decision (don't have it with me) and the later decision I mentioned in another post. Thanks so much for all of your support and responses!

It certainly does. I was rated at 40%, reduced w/bilateral to 22%. The decision rating said they had no access to records prior to 2000, but in a later decision on another issue, treatment records from 1984 - 1989 (first tour) WERE referenced in the decision. I'm just wondering how long/hard it will be to get the 40%. I'll upload the initial decision (don't have it with me) and the later decision I mentioned in another post. Thanks so much for all of your support and responses!

--Also, is it possible to be rated 100% P&T while working full time? I don't think the two have anything to do with one another; just curious. Also, is a rating of 100% unrealistic? If the requests for increase I have submitted come back as I would expect (psoriasis to 60% for using weekly auto immune system treatment injections; knees to 40%) the VA math puts me over 95%. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

The short answer if your 100% rate has Mental Health there is no way to work and keep 100%. The lynch point of mental health 100% is not able to work

If the 100% is physical like Bob Dole than the answer is yes although I think he was 90% maybe the Sen from Georgia who was Sec of VA for short time woud be 100% who got hit with handgrenade in Nam.