Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To Hadit.com And Have Multiple Issues Going On

Rate this question

justrluk

Question

Hello to all-

I've really appreciated all the contributions many of you have made to other, less experienced members of this board. I've benefited a great deal. I have several issues in the works, all at different stages of development by the VA:

1. I was rated 40% for arthritis in knees (bilateral), reduced to 20% for a pre-service condition. I was in the service from 1984 - 2004, and don't understand this answer. Can anyone offer a suggestion? In looking at the initial decision (2005), the VA indicates that no prior service records were available, yet in a later decision (2009) for another condition, they list my service records from this period as being part of the decision.

2. How do you keep all your issues straight? My VSO is the DAV, and it's been hard to get status by calling in. I intend no disrespect; they work hard and have many Veterans in need of help. I can only imagine that they're overwhelmed with new Veterans daily. With their help, I've been rated at 90%, so I have nothing to complain about. I'm just looking/hoping for a way to keep track without having to wait weeks for ambiguous letters, calls or an emails. I use a spreadsheet as a calculator, but it would be great to have better status of where each issue is along the trail to resolution. Thanks to all!

My story:

20 years Air Force (Active, Reserve, Guard, IMA now Civilian)

90% schedular

· Knees (Bilateral; requested DRO hearing and am still waiting): 22%

· Migraines: 50%

· Bipolar Disorder: 30%

· Cervical Spine: 30%

· Psoriasis (still waiting for a response to request for increase): 10%

· Right Hemi-Colechtomy: 10%

· Tinnitus: 10%

· Psoriatic Arthritis: 10%

· Hearing Loss - Right Ear: 0%

· GERD (awaiting reconsideration decision): 0%

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The short answer if your 100% rate has Mental Health there is no way to work and keep 100%. The lynch point of mental health 100% is not able to work

If the 100% is physical like Bob Dole than the answer is yes although I think he was 90% maybe the Sen from Georgia who was Sec of VA for short time woud be 100% who got hit with handgrenade in Nam.

John McCain too I believe.

--Also, is it possible to be rated 100% P&T while working full time? I don't think the two have anything to do with one another; just curious. Also, is a rating of 100% unrealistic? If the requests for increase I have submitted come back as I would expect (psoriasis to 60% for using weekly auto immune system treatment injections; knees to 40%) the VA math puts me over 95%. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Received a copy of all medical records from the VA. No records prior to 2004. Now I have to fight for either the VA or the last Med Group from the base at which I out-processed to find the missing records....

• HadIt.com Elder

Consider that Dole and McCaine are, or are very powerful and well known persons who were in congress. You as an unknown 100% vet may not get the same consideration. Max Cleland was triple amputee. He now suffers from PTSD and admits it. If any part of his 100% involved PTSD he might never have become head of the VA. I tell you that people with major physical combat related disabilites get a very sympathetic review by the VA. People with mental health conditions are lucky to not be called names and accused of fraud. It is not better to lose a foot than to have severe and chronic PTSD but the VA and employers will be more sympathetic becasue they can see it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I remember when anyone with Service Connected Mental could not become a Service Officer.

Thanks to all for comments and wisdom. I've been able to access eBenefits, but only see one issue in the cue. The two issues open for either reconsideration or appeal are not visible. I'll contact the DAV and see if I can get any more details.