Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Announces Theft Of Data On 26 Million Veterans

Rate this question

Guest DON20906

Question

Guest DON20906

VA Secretary Nicholson just concluded a conference call with major veterans' and military service organizations to tell them that a VA data analyst took home the names, social security numbers and dates of birth on over 26 million veterans and others to work from home. The data analyst's home was burglarized and the computer and/or storage media containing the data was stolen. Local police, the FBI and VA's Inspector General believe the burglars were after computer harddware and do not know what they have. VA is going public with this in a press release later today.

Edited by DON20906

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How hard would it be to get a new SSA number? I might call them and ask. I don't think anyone but Peter has come up with that idea. That might solve the problem. I don't know what kind of complications there might be from changing your SSA number?

• HadIt.com Elder

John:

Mr dear friend as you probably already know my idea and when I have the energy to act on it can take a while. For one thing it is hot in Dallas. On a regualar basis we hear that we have broken another heat record. We have already had brown outs. Unfortunately with all the Republicans in control and their deregualating everything the prices are way up.

I still intend to go to Social Security Office and inquire as to what the procedure is to get another SS Number. I trully geel that our Government has injured all of us. Also gave me another thing to worry about.

How hard would it be to get a new SSA number? I might call them and ask. I don't think anyone but Peter has come up with that idea. That might solve the problem. I don't know what kind of complications there might be from changing your SSA number?

• HadIt.com Elder

I tried to call SSA but got exactly nowhere. They got it rigged up now so you talk to a computer. I can't get a human so I guess I may have to go to the local office. That means waiting for an hour and then get a BS answer. SSA website said you had to show you have been harmed or that something is going on with your number before they will change it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Although Social Security does not routinely assign new numbers, we will do so when evidence shows you are being harassed or abused or your life is endangered.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10093.html

Edited by Wings

I tried to call SSA but got exactly nowhere. They got it rigged up now so you talk to a computer. I can't get a human so I guess I may have to go to the local office. That means waiting for an hour and then get a BS answer. SSA website said you had to show you have been harmed or that something is going on with your number before they will change it.

John, call SSA at 1-800-772-1213 ...Enter your SS#, then press 00 and see if you are able to reach a live one!....Go to www.gethuman.com and look at the codes to get live person from the listed companies when you get the machine....I hate those automated machines with a passion.

Railroader

• HadIt.com Elder
John, call SSA at 1-800-772-1213 ...Enter your SS#, then press 00 and see if you are able to reach a live one!....Go to www.gethuman.com and look at the codes to get live person from the listed companies when you get the machine....I hate those automated machines with a passion.

Railroader

OMgosh Railroader, I just found gethuman.com not 2 minutes ago! How ironic! ;-) ~Wings