Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Announces Theft Of Data On 26 Million Veterans

Rate this question

Guest DON20906

Question

Guest DON20906

VA Secretary Nicholson just concluded a conference call with major veterans' and military service organizations to tell them that a VA data analyst took home the names, social security numbers and dates of birth on over 26 million veterans and others to work from home. The data analyst's home was burglarized and the computer and/or storage media containing the data was stolen. Local police, the FBI and VA's Inspector General believe the burglars were after computer harddware and do not know what they have. VA is going public with this in a press release later today.

Edited by DON20906

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Now its down to 19.3 million (according to local news), before that, 24.? million, and before that, 26.? million. does anyone know. I think its the smoke and mirrors again, trying to divert our eye from another issue at hand. I have not heard any vets complaining of bank accounts being broke into also. this is my opinion.

Peter

• HadIt.com Elder

Whatever the number we need to protect our financial records and resources like bank accounts, IRA's and anything else where a SSA number and DOB gets you into the system. What if someone learns how to borrow money against your house pretending to be you? That has happened. You might even get arrested if someone uses your identity and goes to jail for a crime. It happens all the time.

Guest jstacy

Acccording to the world news tonight, The VA ans FBI are offering a 50K reward for info leading to the recovery of the Lap Top and the Guy had been taking home this data for 3 years. There are 26.5 million Vets involved as well as numerous widows of deceased Vets information. The VA may even pay for Credit monitering of all involved Vets.

I hope they have insurance for that Snafu.

Edited by jstacy

Guest jstacy

Lets not forget the fact that the Theft occurred on 5-3-06. 22 almost 23 days ago and that Nicholsons assitant knew about it and failed to report it. ( Scape Goat in training)

• HadIt.com Elder

Terry

I have $20 dollars I could send you. This is all I have left after I pay my bills. Will you fight to the death to protect my twenty bucks?

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh, no....Terry Higgins is armed and dangerous. Do you sleep with a .44 Magnum under your pillow? My doors and windows are booby trapped so if anyone ties to get in they are blown to bits.