Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Re-Rating Request Approved!

angelah

Question

Hello everyone. I have been trying to find a topic that answers my question but have had no luck. I see how helpful people are in this forum and were sure you could answer this question.

I was rated at 40% in 2003 for:

20% Left ankle fracture

10% Migraine headaches (car accident)

10% Dysthemic disorder (depression)

In March I decided to ask for a second opinion because my undiagnosed PTSD from a suicide attempt was never rated properly and my anxiety was interfering with my daily life. So, the VRO sent in a request to have my 10% dysthemis disorder increased. Well, I got my rating decision today.

On the letter they have given me a 50% increase for my Dysthemic disorder with PTSD. Is this in ADDITION to the 20% for my ankle and 10% for migraines? Therefore i will be receiving a total of 90% rating?

It might seem like a dumb question but the front page of my rating paper only shows a monthly payment for 1,064.00... and if i am really at 90% i should be getting about 1764 a month...

Thanks for the help!!!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. VA math does not add it whittles at your rating.

If you show the exact rating for each connection someone can compute but my guess is that you are being paid at 60%

• Admin

yep, i come up with 60% also, it's va math, which is different than regular math here is a calculator that figures it out for you http://www.hadit.com/service_connected_disabilities_rating_calculator.php

here's the regs http://tinyurl.com/25gpx4o

tbird

Welcome to Hadit. VA math does not add it whittles at your rating.

If you show the exact rating for each connection someone can compute but my guess is that you are being paid at 60%

It has been a while since I have ventured on the boards! Thank you all for your reply to my topic. I am indeed 60%! There was an additional paragraph at the end of my rating decision that said 'an increased rating of 70% for PTSD is due if you meet the following criteria (blah blah blah)... well, I showed this to the therapist I have been seeing (non VA) and she was floored. All the items mentioned were in my original assessment that she had submitted.

well, two weeks ago I submitted a re-visit request with an updated assessment from my Therapist through my VSO. Hopefully I will hear something from the VA by March regarding my claim. If I do get 70% for PTSD than my overall will be 90%.

Here is the kicker, though... Since my original claim in March I have had some major changes. I was unable to continue working due to my Anxiety and Panic Attacks on July 23rd. Also, I have started Vocational Rehabilitation (chapter 31), and just applied for SSDI since I have not been able to work.

What should I do? Should I just wait out my re-visit or ask for 100% unemployability now? I am so confused as to what I should do first... It's enough to give me an anxiety attack!

If I were you I would apply for TDIU now.

This protects your earliest effective date.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get SSDI I don't see the advantage of doing vocational rehabilitation unless you think you are going to get well enough in the future to go back to work. You are sort of working at cross purposes. If you are going to do vocational rehab unless you fail at it then that won't help your IU claim. Of course, if you could do voc rehab and work it would be best, but if you are going to be on SSDI the rest of your life it makes no sense. What is your long term goal? I think this depends to some extent on your age and health. Do you have a realistic chance of making a decent living even if you complete voc rehab?