Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aggravation Award For

Rate this question

Berta

Question

We dont talk much about this approach because most vets do not have any pre -existing conditions noted in their military records.I found this case while searching for info for a new member here with a pre-existing disability that certainly seems to have gotten worse from his military service.

I imagine -even with the potential basis for this type of claim-many of these claims never get filed.

In this type of claim-if military service aggravates the pre- existing condition,then VA will rate and SC the level of aggravation.

This one is a beauty:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files5/0938035.txt

FINDINGS OF FACT

1. Clear and unmistakable evidence shows that bipolar

disorder was present prior to service.

2. The Veteran's preexisting bipolar disorder increased in

severity in service.

CONCLUSION OF LAW

Bipolar disorder was aggravated by active service.

38 U.S.C.A. §§ 1110, 1111, 1153 (West 2002); 38 C.F.R.

§§ 3.303, 3.306 (2009).

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

That would be a good SVR Topic as the Aggravation factor is often over looked by the raters.

The kicker being that the condition will be service connected but only to the extent of the aggravation.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

I remember that in one of my C&P exam, the psychiatrist asked me if I thought I was bipolar before the service. I told him that I didn't have any problems with bipolar before the service.

But out of four C&P exams, I was only asked that once.

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The kicker being that the condition will be service connected but only to the extent of the aggravation.

How would the VA calculate this? How would they calculate the rating percentage of the pre-existing condition?

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

We dont talk much about this approach because most vets do not have any pre -existing conditions noted in their military records.I found this case while searching for info for a new member here with a pre-existing disability that certainly seems to have gotten worse from his military service.

I imagine -even with the potential basis for this type of claim-many of these claims never get filed.

In this type of claim-if military service aggravates the pre- existing condition,then VA will rate and SC the level of aggravation.

This one is a beauty:

http://www4.va.gov/v...es5/0938035.txt

FINDINGS OF FACT

1. Clear and unmistakable evidence shows that bipolar

disorder was present prior to service.

2. The Veteran's preexisting bipolar disorder increased in

severity in service.

CONCLUSION OF LAW

Bipolar disorder was aggravated by active service.

38 U.S.C.A. §§ 1110, 1111, 1153 (West 2002); 38 C.F.R.

§§ 3.303, 3.306 (2009).

I have an active claim for secondary SC. It stems from a SOC that stated my sc radiculopathy is only severe because of my non-service connected carpal tunnel. Therefore SC was awarded as mild. The problem is I never had carpal tunnel until the radiculopathy and I thought the symptoms were part of the radiculopathy until I told my neurologist. He did NCS's on both hands and diagnosed the carpal tunnel as severe. So what I did after reading the SOC about the "non-service connected" carpal tunnel making the radiculopathy worse was to ask the neurologist the oppsite. Could the radiculopathy make the carpal tunnel worse he said yes and wrote a nexus. I recently had the c&p exam and I'm waiting for the rating. Funny thing is they can't deny carpal tunnel, because it would negatate the SOC for radiculopathy. Lets wait and see.

Bergie

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

• HadIt.com Elder

How would the VA calculate this? How would they calculate the rating percentage of the pre-existing condition?

The way that the CFR's indicate that this should be handled is:

If the VA has no way to determine WHAT percentage of disability existed "prior-to-service" (which, in the claim in question, they DID NOT) then the instructions indicate that the VA has to start at Sqauare One. In-other-words, if they can't prove, for example, that you had X percentage of disability prior-to-service........then they have to assume, even though you had a pre-existing condition that worsened during service, they have to assume that that pre-existing condition would have been ratable at 0% upon your entry to service.

Edited by LarryJ

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

The way that the CFR's indicate that this should be handled is:

If the VA has no way to determine WHAT percentage of disability existed "prior-to-service" (which, in the claim in question, they DID NOT) then the instructions indicate that the VA has to start at Sqauare One. In-other-words, if they can't prove, for example, that you had X percentage of disability prior-to-service........then they have to assume, even though you had a pre-existing condition that worsened during service, they have to assume that that pre-existing condition would have been ratable at 0% upon your entry to service.

Ditto. LarryJ. aggravated by active service.

How did you get in the service, in the first place?

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"