Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got A Letter From The Ssa

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

The letter said that i meet the medical requirements for disability. Its said my disability became severe according to them sept 17 of last year and that is when they are starting my benifits to. They used the records I turned in and my letter from my doctor. It says i am disabled because of ptsd, diabetes and hypertension. They did not mention my depression. I was treated for that on active duty which is as far back as 1993. Is there a way to ask for a reconsideration and say that it was not on there. I am not sure if they omitted it or I did not put it on there. Please let me know what you guys think. Or should I just leave well enough along.

Thnx in advance. I am hoping to see money by the second week in august. (hoping)

Thnx for all the help you guys have given me.

Also should I give this letter to my vso for my claim with the Va or wait for the award letter.??

Thnx again

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The letter said that i meet the medical requirements for disability. Its said my disability became severe according to them sept 17 of last year and that is when they are starting my benifits to. They used the records I turned in and my letter from my doctor. It says i am disabled because of ptsd, diabetes and hypertension. They did not mention my depression. I was treated for that on active duty which is as far back as 1993. Is there a way to ask for a reconsideration and say that it was not on there. I am not sure if they omitted it or I did not put it on there. Please let me know what you guys think. Or should I just leave well enough along.

Thnx in advance. I am hoping to see money by the second week in august. (hoping)

Cm,

Did they grant SSI or SSD ?

If Sept. 17 is your start date - and they don't pay anything for the first five months,

then the way I've figured it, your first check/direct deposit should be for about four

or five months, of your SSA amount in the first check/direct deposit.

Since SSA has granted your claim for benefits without the addition of depression.

I personally probably would not contact SSA and re-open or appeal to add depression.

On the other hand, I do not know if any of your VA claims are actually for depression

which in some instances - could use the support of an SSA claim being granted -

for among other things, depression.

Congrats on your SSA award - I know you've been having it rough.

Maybe this will turn life around for you a bit and certainly relieve some stress.

they approved for both ssi and ssdi. I will get ssdi for April on... for ssi from oct last year. they said ssdi goes in automatically once approved but ssi has to be back to your local office for further processing. the letter does not mention one or the other. Yes depression is on my va claim as well as ptsd. So is hypertension and Diabetes.

the letter i was told was dated the 8th of this month but this one i got in the mail was dated the 14 actually and post marked from maryland.

thnx in advance for your help

Cm,

I've never heard of anyone being paid both SSD and SSI, certainly not at the same time.

Did you perhaps have enough work credits up to a certain date that SSD was granted for

and then

your work credits ended and they start paying under SSI ?

This is surely very confusing.

Cm,

I've never heard of anyone being paid both SSD and SSI, certainly not at the same time.

Did you perhaps have enough work credits up to a certain date that SSD was granted for

and then

your work credits ended and they start paying under SSI ?

This is surely very confusing.

Yes they approved me for both. SSI would be from the time of approval. Once the 5 mos are up then the ssdi will start. That what i know of this... They basically told me that ssi will help until ssdi comes in.

That is the way i understand it. Lell me if I am wrong.

If you did not pay in enough for SSDI they will supplement with SSI too. They look at your contributions and poverty levels and try to do a semi balancing act. I wrote recently to another vets exact question upon receiving both. Glad you got approved.