Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got A Letter From The Ssa

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

The letter said that i meet the medical requirements for disability. Its said my disability became severe according to them sept 17 of last year and that is when they are starting my benifits to. They used the records I turned in and my letter from my doctor. It says i am disabled because of ptsd, diabetes and hypertension. They did not mention my depression. I was treated for that on active duty which is as far back as 1993. Is there a way to ask for a reconsideration and say that it was not on there. I am not sure if they omitted it or I did not put it on there. Please let me know what you guys think. Or should I just leave well enough along.

Thnx in advance. I am hoping to see money by the second week in august. (hoping)

Thnx for all the help you guys have given me.

Also should I give this letter to my vso for my claim with the Va or wait for the award letter.??

Thnx again

Claim 1 & 2 /w pension Filed 10/23/2009 CnPs- Dec Phase 10/1/2010 Notification 10/12/2010 Closed 10/15/2010

Claim 3 Filed June 23,10 CNPs- Jan 2011 Dec Phase- Mar 2011 Notification- May 2011 Closed My 2011 (CLAIM DENIED)

Claim 4 Filed June 13,11 cnps-Na Dec Phase- Aug 2011 Notification- ...

Voc Rehab Claim Filed July 2011 Orientation-17 Aug 2011 Found Entitled- 17 Aug 2011 Classes paid- 19 Aug 2011 First Stipen Check- ...

***Under Ga VARO from 2009 - Until Present***

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

Great news Cmdr! The way I remember it they can only pay back from the date you applied for SSD, but I could be wrong. Personally if it was me I would just leave it alone, that's just me though and others may have idea's and knowledge that I do not have.

Congratulations!

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

I dont know if this helps-

Husband applied for SSA due to a stroke.He clearly added his PTSD diagnosis and some VA med recs for that into his application at SSA office. They awarded back to the date of his stroke (August 1992.)

When the findings made no mention of his PTSD we were disappointed as he had claim in for higher rating of his 30% PTSD and we thought the SSA would possible make some statement as to whether his rating should be higher.

I went to the SSA office and asked if I could access some of their own disability regulations.They let me do that (it took hours to find what I wanted and they allowed me only a few xeroxes of them)

Bingo- one regulation said they have to consider all disablities the applicant claimed.The stroke award was a no brainer so I guess they simply didnt consider the PTSD at all even though he claimed it.

We filed a Reconsideration Request. We then asked a SSA lawyer to support it and he refused.He said no way they would reconsider the PTSD and he as well as the SSA strongly suggested that a reconsideration request might even disallow the CVA award as well as any potential PTSD award as it would be a new review.

I am not easily intimidated.I wrote it,he signed it and I mailed t to SSA.

About 4 months after they got the Reconsideration Request they called us and said the SSA award had been changed to PTSD solely- as of Nov 1, 1991 and the 17 thousand they now owed him would be in the mail soon.

I sent the VA the new SSA award for his higher rating claim. The DAV told me it would not matter much.

It did. Three years after his death the VA poosthumously awarded 100% PTSD P & T with an EED of Nov 1, 1991.

The VA had ignored all of his SSA awards and records.

I asked his shrink top write them a letter because they also had ignored all of his clinical psychiatric tests and hypnosis stuff etc etc.

In the letter the VA psyche stated (and gave me copies of) the results of 6 psychiatric tests to separate CVA from his PTSD.One test result had entries that his PTSD was catastrophic, His GAF by then was 26 or 34 I forget. The VA doc also told them he got SSA for PTSD and in his opinion my husband was unemployable due to his level of PTSD.

The 100 % award letter for PTSD with the SSA EED came about 3 weeks later.

If you feel that a reconsideration request will provide you with a better VA EED by all means file the request.

I do suggest getting a lawyer to help however. They will get a fee if you succeed from the SSA proceeds.

The SSA lawyer who turned us down told me (I sure called him up after they awarded the PTSD to tell him how much money he lost)

he would never be so abrupt to deny help to a PTSD veteran again.

It depends on whether a new SSA decision would support a better SC EED than the one the VA gave you.

And that is very often not always the case.

I imagine the SSA regulations and timeframes for reconsiderations is at the SSA web site.

Is your depression still a current condition and does it manifest its disabling affect more then the PTSD does?

Is the depression a formal VA claim? Is the depression actually n yor SSA claim?

The VA will not award for 2 mental health issues, only one.But if the depression is SC or secondary to the PTSD and had a latter EED as to being total disabling -maybe then you should file for the reconsideration.

I do suggest that you talk it over first with a SSA lawyer if you feel they should reconsider.

They tried to pay my husband some SSI but he kept telling them he was not eligible.Then they sent a check but he sent it back.

Then he got a letter saying he was not eligible for SSI ,and that he was eligible for SSDI.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.