VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Got Back From Appt With Va Psych....grrrrr

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

I just returned from an appointment with my VA psychiatrist....She just seems to want to keep increasing my meds but doesn't really want to help with my claim.....I asked her to specifically write me a nexus letter or to put into my treatment notes that my PTSD 'is more likely than not caused by my time in the Gulf"....She says that she has already stated that it is service connected and that she wants me to be service connected for this but will not write this as I have asked....Are they instructed to not write it plainly so we can support our claims????? She said it would be a conflict of interest.????I asked her how it would be a conflict of interest, wasn't she my treating Phsychiatrist (she said yes) but she just wants to him and haww........GRRRRRRRRR...VA causes us more stress and just wants to dope us up and hope we forget...............................................Did find out some things that may help my claim......The doctor that did my PTSD C&P back in March is only an MD.....According to VA regs it should have been a Psychiatrist or Phsycologist...So I have a point there....Still gathering the stuff to keep fighting my claim.............................GRID

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I guess one more post will not hurt:) After, reading all these posts, I'm getting more and more nervous about my upcoming C&P PTSD exam. I'm currently rated at 30 percent. My doctor was contracted by the VA. This doctor is very respected here in San Antonio, and has seen many many vets for PTSD. Now, the VA wants to do a C&P!! Why do I think that I'm about to get the old shaft. I know that they are not doing this to increase it.

Papa

Does the clinical record show your PTSD has increased in it's disabling affects to you?

What I mean by that is have you had any hospitalizations for PTSD since getting the 30%?

Has VA changed your PTSD meds to stronger dosage or different type of med due to PTSD problems?

Have you had any work related or legal problems due to the PTSD?

Do you have a significant other who can give the VA testimony as to your increase in PTSD problems?

Have you applied for and been rejected by Voc Rehab solely due to your SC?

Do you consistently participate in Vet Center groups and/or VA psyche therapy?

Does your PTSD shrink thoroughly document your appointments?

Have you accessed the Rating schedule to see how your medical evidence would warrant a higher rating?

Are you still employed?

The C & P exam might go OK- get a copy of the actual results when they are completed and you will have a leg up as to how they will decide the claim.

Berta,

Thank you for the great advice. I do have a major issue with going or even asking the VA for help. I did the financial thing and was told that I made too much money to qualify for medical care at the VA. I retired because my PTSD was affecting my work. I did not need a shrink to tell me that. BTW, my wife and I where in your area of NY a few weeks ago, we where on an Amtrak train from Chicago.

papa

Berta,

Thank you for the great advice. I do have a major issue with going or even asking the VA for help. I did the financial thing and was told that I made too much money to qualify for medical care at the VA. I retired because my PTSD was affecting my work. I did not need a shrink to tell me that. BTW, my wife and I where in your area of NY a few weeks ago, we where on an Amtrak train from Chicago.

papa

Papa,

I just read your post, and understand completely what you are saying. I just want to make sure, though, that you are aware that you don't have to do a financial assessment for full VA medical care if you are 50% disabled. You are entitled to all medical treatment and medicines with no copay due to your service connected rating. If you're not taking advantage of it, you might want to give it some thought. Good luck with the C&P exam. I was just notified that I am scheduled for one in about 2 weeks myself.

Papa, are you saying that you're already 30% SC disabled, but the VA won't let you into the VA Healthcare system? You're SC for PTSD and they won't let you use VA mental health services or healthcare because you make too much money? How can that be?

Hedgey,

I have never claimed to be brightest star in the sky. Most of this is my fault, and no one else. I have finally contacted the VA PTSD unit at the VA hospital here in San Antonio. I have also started to wear my Vietnam Veteran's cap, again. BTW, there is a financial assessment that the VA has, and it will tell you whether or not you qualify for care. But, then, I get a letter that says I qualify for cat. B. Never could find out what cat. B is or means.

papa