Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Hospital Records

cooter
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

Question

I can prove more evidence on my claim, but my hospital records from FT. Benning, Ga. in 1976 are missing from my SMR's. Any ideas how to obtain them or am I out of luck?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

10 answers to this question

Try to contact FT Benning and see what their record archive procedure.

Hopefully they will have them somewhere.

Edited by jbasser

Try to contact FT Benning and see what their record archive procedure.

Hopefully they will have them somewhere.

Thanks! It would certainly help if they did.

Tell the Regional Office that you had records at Ft Benning and they will send for them. They have no way of knowing where your hospital records are if you don't tell them. They are obligated to get records from any government agency. They ask you for the information in you VCAA/Duty to Assist Letter. They get your SMRs from the National Personnel Records Center. They have no way of knowing what is missing.

Tell the Regional Office that you had records at Ft Benning and they will send for them. They have no way of knowing where your hospital records are if you don't tell them. They are obligated to get records from any government agency. They ask you for the information in you VCAA/Duty to Assist Letter. They get your SMRs from the National Personnel Records Center. They have no way of knowing what is missing.

ok question

I was in MH ward of martin army community hospital ft benning. Sent for records twice, first time i was told MH records are not allowed to be given out, second time they gave them to me, the only thing i got was a report for the MH clinic, that sent me to MArtin, no intake at Martin, no doctors notes, no discharge paperwork, no copies of the profile not allowing me to handle weapons for a month, how the hell do i get them??

ok question

I was in MH ward of martin army community hospital ft benning. Sent for records twice, first time i was told MH records are not allowed to be given out, second time they gave them to me, the only thing i got was a report for the MH clinic, that sent me to MArtin, no intake at Martin, no doctors notes, no discharge paperwork, no copies of the profile not allowing me to handle weapons for a month, how the hell do i get them??

How long ago where you at martin hospital and do you know if that same hosp. was there in the early 70's.

• Community Admin/Founder

I agree with the earlier post, have the VA Regional office request the records.

Use the Page Ave address in St Louis to seek these too...

• HadIt.com Elder

Hospital records are kept for 10 yrs at the most.

You can try to call the records dept of that facility, but they either went with all your records or were shredded like mine.

To save time I would request these and all other service medical records from St Louis archives.

It will add another 6 weeks going through the VARO to request records from St Louis archives, than for St Louis archives to reply back to the VARO.

Once the VARO gets their hands on the records, it just gives it another opertunity for needed primary evidence to go missing. It won't hurt to try both, but St Louis archives is the fastest means of getting them.

It takes two weeks just for your request to go through the VARO mail room.

Medical and other service records may be requested by their form, electronically and through a fax using this online link.............

National Archives and Records Administration

http://www.archives.gov/index.html

• HadIt.com Elder

I would like to add that I requested my medical & service records from the VARO for over 25 years and never so much recieved a reply of any kind. It wasn't until I went through St Louis that I recieved what little was left of my records. For some reason the VARO got ahold of all my records right out of service in 1971. All requests for copies of service records & C-file from my service officers and myself were completely ignored.

After I requested copies through St louis again in 1997, I recieved about a yrs worth out of 4 from the RO that held my records all those yrs.

My advice to everyone is get them from ST. Louis before the VARO gets their hands on them.

How long ago where you at martin hospital and do you know if that same hosp. was there in the early 70's.

a year and a half ago, not sure if it was there in the 70's

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines