Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Best Way To Submit Documents To Va

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

So I've almost got my TDIU form & documents ready to send in. I had to talk to the VSO about a different matter, but discussed the TDIU with him. He insists that the only correct way for me to submit paperwork to the VA is to hand my ORIGINAL documents over to him and he would make copies for my file in his office, then forward the original documents to the VA. I told him I wasn't thrilled about that plan, since the VA seems to lose documents, but he insisted.

I got to wondering about this. I sure didn't hand over personal letters from deceased family members, I provided copies for my claim (I didn't go through this VSO for my PTSD claim - he told me I didn't have a chance and told me not to file). Why would this guy want to be responsible for handling people's original documents?

The VA doesn't seem to mind copies, from my experience. What has been everyone else's?

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

The VSO's are supposed to be able to look at originals make copies and certify them to VARO. You should keep your originals. Personally I think your VSO is mixed up.

Just my opinion.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

A copy of a doc to a VSO should be good enough-i've never given originals to mine-I scan or xerox them as necessary. THe only originals I ever gave them of anything was two signed statements on 21-4138s.

Faxes and scans hold up on court all the time, and I send in copies all the time. They want the original then can get it off their own server (VA) or request it with some sort of compelling reason. I scan or xerox the form in it's entirety so there is no question what it is, and send it on.

Edited by brokensoldier244th

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• HadIt.com Elder

So I've almost got my TDIU form & documents ready to send in. I had to talk to the VSO about a different matter, but discussed the TDIU with him. He insists that the only correct way for me to submit paperwork to the VA is to hand my ORIGINAL documents over to him and he would make copies for my file in his office, then forward the original documents to the VA. I told him I wasn't thrilled about that plan, since the VA seems to lose documents, but he insisted.

I got to wondering about this. I sure didn't hand over personal letters from deceased family members, I provided copies for my claim (I didn't go through this VSO for my PTSD claim - he told me I didn't have a chance and told me not to file). Why would this guy want to be responsible for handling people's original documents?

The VA doesn't seem to mind copies, from my experience. What has been everyone else's?

Regardless of what you send, "original" or not, the VA will also request/require that you sign forms allowing them to directly obtain copies.

Depending on the number of pages, etc. and the type of documents. most county clerk or registrar's will make copies and certify them.

This may be free or at some nominal charge. I had to do this with "corrected" DD 214-215 forms to insure that I had copies that were acceptable to all, including a state tax office.

Never, never, never give the originals to someone, or let them out of your sight for other than an immediate copy.

Page count the originals and any copies, while checking for duplicate or blank pages.

Do not depend upon the VA to provide a "true copy" even if they "certify" the copy. Too many times, a VA employee just places the source documents in a copier, and "let r rip". Page checking against the original may not be done, or only partially accomplished before the copy is sent out.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

Heck, I just FAX everything, my claims, your claims, whosevers claims. I do follow up with "hard copies", just in case a page "didn't go through", but after having FAX'ed stuff, I've checked on eBenefits and the FAX'ed stuff always shows up as having been received and all, so what's the diff between the FAX'ed and the original..............................they all look the same, to me?

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

I would ask this gentleman to show you the law. I have never sent originals for anything to the RO.

I have had documents certified and send them in but they were copies of originals.

Where is this guy located? I would consider reporting him if he continues.

Where do you get the fax # from? I cant find anything on the Houston Regional page and I tried the 1-800 # and it said they were too many calls to call again in the morning.