Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mets Question

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

On my Compensation exam done in June it states under Cardiomegaly-Functional limitations :Mets

reason Mets estimated only *Estimated Mets 5-7 based on exertion limited to types of activities such as climbing stairs, carrying objects 30-60 lbs, shoveling dirt,walking 4-5 mph.

Reason Mets estimated only:patient not able to walk on treadmill due to back and feet disabilities. pt had reaction to chemical stress test earlier this year when had chest pain evaluation. Effects on daily activities:none, effects on usual occupation:none.

Then under the impression/summary its states Mild cardiomegaly without evidence of ischemic disease documented by a negative persantine-thallium cardiac stress test.

The rating charts show a 30% rating for the Mets, however-I have been up nightly trying to figure if what the summary stated will wipe that out and give me a 0% I know how the doctor writes this up determines what you will get, and if they write this up per what the rating is for that category is supposed to determine what you get. But when the doctor writes something up and contradicts it in the summary I wonder If this will go against me. And this is exactly how my whole exam went with other issues. I would appreciate if someone who is familiar about this Mets issue could explain it to me what this means. By the way, the next idiot who tries to give this chemical stress again better stand by. A heart hospital gave me this test because my blood pressure was too high and I was on too many medications. I thought I was dying, was passing out cause I wasn't recovering from this test even with the refersal drug. They told me they were going to call an ambulance(the hospital was in the next block) if I didn't wake up. More drugs, after 2 hrs I limped out of the clinic and straight to bed rest for several days-don't get this test!!!!:ohmy:

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I think you may have problems with no evidence of Ischemic heart disease. They will have see if you have any of the others such as CAD, MI, ect.

Just my opinion, I hope I am wrong.

Dave

Edited by rotorhead

I think you may have problems with no evidence of Ischemic heart disease. They will have see if you have any of the others such as CAD, MI, ect.

Just my opinion, I hope I am wrong.

Dave

Yes-they wrote Mild cardiomegaly without evidence of ischemic heart disease documented by a negative persantine-thallium cardiac stress test. Also the ratings for the LVE say-left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30 to 50 percent. So it could mean possible -30-60% perhaps based on these tests. They stated on the myocardial stress/rest test done at a heart hospital 50%-normal-but the VA assigns a 60% rating-am I missing something here? I can see why this got sent from the rating board back to development. Maybe a coin toss will decide this outcome:wacko:

• HadIt.com Elder

You know I had a treadmill test and the chemical test. If one test says you have a problem and the other doesn't then you should get the benefit of doubt. This is what happened to me. I got 60% based on contradictory evidence from both tests.

Yes-they wrote Mild cardiomegaly without evidence of ischemic heart disease documented by a negative persantine-thallium cardiac stress test. Also the ratings for the LVE say-left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30 to 50 percent. So it could mean possible -30-60% perhaps based on these tests. They stated on the myocardial stress/rest test done at a heart hospital 50%-normal-but the VA assigns a 60% rating-am I missing something here? I can see why this got sent from the rating board back to development. Maybe a coin toss will decide this outcome:wacko:

Please correct me I answer your post because I thought you were a Vietnam vet and was already rated for heart disease. Is that not the case?

Also I did a goggle of your heart disease:

Cardiomegaly is the abnormal enlargement of the heart and is also known as macrocardia or megalocardia. Mild cardiomegaly is a common heart condition in many people and is more prevalent among athletes. The exact cause of the condition is not known but medical research shows that underlying conditions are the cause in most cases. Some common causes of this condition are valvular disease, congenital heart disorders, and alcoholic cardiomyopathy. In some cases, it is possible that mild cardiomegaly is a symptom of a more serious, under-lying disease or illness. The most common diseases likely to cause mild cardiomegaly are Ischemic heart disease, heart cancer and 1q deletion. Mild cardiomegaly can affect people of all age groups and sexes.

Hmm this looks like what Berta said VA would do for this illness they are going to try any and all tricks not to award.

If I were you I would wait for the rating but if you do not get something you are happy with I would use the above and anything else out there to fight it!!

Edited by stillhere

Please correct me I answer your post because I thought you were a Vietnam vet and was already rated for heart disease. Is that not the case?

Also I did a goggle of your heart disease:

Cardiomegaly is the abnormal enlargement of the heart and is also known as macrocardia or megalocardia. Mild cardiomegaly is a common heart condition in many people and is more prevalent among athletes. The exact cause of the condition is not known but medical research shows that underlying conditions are the cause in most cases. Some common causes of this condition are valvular disease, congenital heart disorders, and alcoholic cardiomyopathy. In some cases, it is possible that mild cardiomegaly is a symptom of a more serious, under-lying disease or illness. The most common diseases likely to cause mild cardiomegaly are Ischemic heart disease, heart cancer and 1q deletion. Mild cardiomegaly can affect people of all age groups and sexes.

Hmm this looks like what Berta said VA would do for this illness they are going to try any and all tricks not to award.

If I were you I would wait for the rating but if you do not get something you are happy with I would use the above and anything else out there to fight it!!

I am not a vietnam vet-was in the Navy from 1976-1996. The VA had given me a ekg that said I had enlarged heart. So then I went to a heart hospital to have all the test given. Just have high blood pressure amoung a few other isssues, Also hardening of the arteries. I though I was about to die or somwtning so my military doctor on base for tri care Prime ordered all these test. I think they reverse what the VA said I had'

You know I had a treadmill test and the chemical test. If one test says you have a problem and the other doesn't then you should get the benefit of doubt. This is what happened to me. I got 60% based on contradictory evidence from both tests.

Wow-thats nice. Cause I had a spine exam and the motion flex test states 0-10, all motions-that would be a least a 30%, then this tread mill test would be rated at 30%-estimated Mets-(currently at 30%) and that is not all the issues waiting at my "threw everything but the kitchen sink at them" . Probably thats why its taking them so long. They probably are trying to figure out a good excuse to low ball me cause they can't have me going from 30% to 70-80%. that would be to steep of an increase-we need to defer these issues for at least another few years. My exam results match the rating chart to a T or a few issues.:smile: