Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Here; A Question Regarding Private Health Insurance

Rate this question

buzzard

Question

A little about me: I am a veteran of the Army (1968-1974), having served two tours in Vietnam as a Crew Chief/Door Gunner. I live in Ohio.

I had some mental issues when I returned, and continue to do so. I have hearing problems and tinnitus (driving me crazy; it is just getting worse with time): as well as a few other problems. I've been inpatient/outpatient at VA in the past.

I work part-time for now, though it is a real challenge. I applied for VA health care just this past Thursday and have my first appointment in less than two weeks, and then I guess they will set up an appointment for me to go to Chillicothe for the Agent Orange physical/registry (I was in many areas in VN where it was used). I sent for all my military records via eVetRecords last week, but I don't anticipate receiving them as fast I got the VA heathcare approved.

My question: I have private health insurance (Anthem) and I plan on dropping it, as I can no longer afford it; the premiums, co-pays and deductibles are killing me! I don't know if I should drop it before my first appointment....am I even allowed to drop the private health insurance at any time?

Thanks Brothers!

Dave

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

buzzard nothing happens fast in dealing with the Veteran benefits or Veterans Affairs Regional Office (VARO) where they process the comp claims your tinnitus they will try and blame on your use of your lawnmower and weed whackers or any other industrial equipment since you left the service you did wear protective guards like ear phones of something similar didn't you? They will look for every reason to deny issues you basically have to prove the military service caused the harm since you were boots on the ground in Nam there are a few issues that are considered presumptive like DMII, colon or prostrate cancer, and they are now adding IHD (heart disease) it is not a gimme yet there will be hearing on Sep 23 about this issue

Like John stated keep the focus on your life since you entered the Army do not get into you were beat by your father or mother as a child or you were a teen age hooligan (unless you really were) since none of us really had a Leave it to Beaver childhood you were probably like the rest of us you had a "normal" childhood don't open doors to let them deny service connection just tell them the truth about your life since Nam they have been doing this for years and they can smell the BS a mile away

when they ask you how you are feeling don't put on a happy face and say "fine" unless you really are fine if you haven't slept in 3 days tell them if you wake up 2 or 3 times a night from nightmares tell them if a bad back is causing your pain and if you hurt your back in service tell them if you have personal issues with a spouse tell them being a "man" and keeping it to yourself is not going to help you with these people they need to see you at your normal or worse day not your best don't go in there dressed like church unless that is how you dress everyday if you wear sweat pants at home wear sweat pants to the VA be yourself don't act "up" and don't act "down"

Good Morning,

I called the local Vet Rep, and told him I wanted to file an Informal Claim, but could not get through and keep getting a recording that "...due to overwhelming...call back another time". He told me that if I went to see him, he'd just be doing the same thing (calling to file Informal Claim), and that I should keep trying to call there, because you could get that message then call back five minutes later and get a human being on the phone...which I did, and finally got through....requested to file an "Informal Claim"...was asked for name, address, etc....and that a package would be mailed out to me.

As for the VA psychs....for the record, I had a great childhood, really...I have dealt with them in the past, when I was inpatient/outpatient and know some of their game, but will diligently take my time, research via Internet and my medical records, and find a decent Vet Rep beforehand....hopefully someone at my local VVA (which I just joined) can point me to a good guy....and hopefully all "case notes" will be included in those medical records...I plan to do the claim on paper first, then file it electronically....I note on the claim form that they want specific dates of treatment, and therefore, I cannot file it yet because I haven't received my medical records and some of the treatment was so long ago I have no idea of specific dates...!!!....(requested medical and military records via eVetRecs last week/faxed request....have no idea how soon I will get them, and also am going to request them when I go for my VAMC physical Tuesday AS WELL AS request an appointment with the Psych there, although it is really painful to speak about that stuff...I know I need to do it...heck, it is hard to even speak to my wife about it...). For all I know, there may be something in my Army exit exam that I don't remember...it was a long time ago....however we were basically "herded" when we received the exit exam and I don't expect it to be lengthy....

Thanks again to all who are helping and Thanks for all of your Service for my country...

I plan to do the claim on paper first, then file it electronically....I note on the claim form that they want specific dates of treatment, and therefore, I cannot file it yet because I haven't received my medical records and some of the treatment was so long ago I have no idea of specific dates...!!!....(requested medical and military records via eVetRecs last week/faxed request....have no idea how soon I will get them, and also am going to request them when I go for my VAMC physical Tuesday

buzzard,

Time is going to wind up costing you money by way of effective date.

Do you know what medical issues you are going to file for service connection on ?

If yes, you might want to go ahead and send an IRIS stating at this time you are filing an informal claim

to request service connection for XXX,XXXX,XXXX to include any and all injury, illness or disease

shown in SMR/STR's and/or medical evidence,that have left you with residual effects.

State you request SC for mental health issues as you feel have had some mental health problems since you two tours in VN

that continue to effect your life today, any illness that is shown to be AO related,hearing loss and Tinnitus.

Also request them to send you all appropriate forms and information needed to make your official request for

service connection.

This way you will have already set up for an effective date - while you use the time to do whatever it is

you feel like you need to be doing.

You posted,

" I note on the claim form that they want specific dates of treatment, and therefore, I cannot file it yet because I haven't received my medical records

and some of the treatment was so long ago I have no idea of specific dates...!!!."

Your dates of treatment do not need to be exact - an approximate month and year should be sufficient also a location.

You can be quite brief in your informal request - but you should go ahead and get a date of claim started.

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd try to "pitch in" here, but I'm afraid that I'd just manage to "muddy-the-waters". I will make a "short statement": SEND IN THE CLAIMS, NOW! Either by mail, by VONAPPs, by carrier pigeon, or by mule train, BUT GET THE CLAIMS IN THE HANDS OF THE VA. YOU ARE COSTING YOURSELF MONEY by waiting. (I'd, personally, just FAX them in, but that's just me).

:rolleyes: sheeeesh!