Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Here; A Question Regarding Private Health Insurance

Rate this question

buzzard

Question

A little about me: I am a veteran of the Army (1968-1974), having served two tours in Vietnam as a Crew Chief/Door Gunner. I live in Ohio.

I had some mental issues when I returned, and continue to do so. I have hearing problems and tinnitus (driving me crazy; it is just getting worse with time): as well as a few other problems. I've been inpatient/outpatient at VA in the past.

I work part-time for now, though it is a real challenge. I applied for VA health care just this past Thursday and have my first appointment in less than two weeks, and then I guess they will set up an appointment for me to go to Chillicothe for the Agent Orange physical/registry (I was in many areas in VN where it was used). I sent for all my military records via eVetRecords last week, but I don't anticipate receiving them as fast I got the VA heathcare approved.

My question: I have private health insurance (Anthem) and I plan on dropping it, as I can no longer afford it; the premiums, co-pays and deductibles are killing me! I don't know if I should drop it before my first appointment....am I even allowed to drop the private health insurance at any time?

Thanks Brothers!

Dave

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your input and serving my Countryy!

I downloaded and printed the 12 page Application; I still can't come up with dates regarding the VAMC inpatient/outpatient... (seen psychs after I did my Tours, then years later....); I've racked my brain for at least the months and dates, and the only one I come up with is one of the VAMC inpatient date in 1971...I sent to the Archives for my records last week, but don't expect them anytime soon....hopefully, the local VAMC can get them asap when I go there on Tuesday....

Ugh!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your input and serving my Countryy!

I downloaded and printed the 12 page Application; I still can't come up with dates regarding the VAMC inpatient/outpatient... (seen psychs after I did my Tours, then years later....); I've racked my brain for at least the months and dates, and the only one I come up with is one of the VAMC inpatient date in 1971...I sent to the Archives for my records last week, but don't expect them anytime soon....hopefully, the local VAMC can get them asap when I go there on Tuesday....

Ugh!!!

IF you have been treated by the VA, either inpatient or outpatient, THEY WILL ALREADY HAVE YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS! Okay? Just tell them that they have treated you in the past.........FORGET ABOUT COMING UP WITH THE SPECIFIC DATES. FORGET ABOUT IT! OKAY?

JIST GIT THE DAMN THING TURNED IN!

DO NOT WAIT ON THE RECORDS.........................THEY HAVE YOUR RECORDS.............! Your records may very well be "in storage" in the VA Records Depository in St. Louis (this is a totally different place than the National Archives Military Personnel Records Center)..........but, they have them....just let them know that they have treated you in the past.............they'll come up with their own records..........now, if you have any OTHER treatment records OTHER than the VA's, then YOU need to come up with THOSE............but, GET YOUR CLAIM TURNED IN, THEN WORRY ABOUT THE RECORDS THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE AVAILABLE!!!!

QUIT STALLING! GIT "ER DONE!

Starting filling out the VA Form 21-526....Plan on completing it on paper, and doing it VONAPP tomorrow (don't see a fax number anywhere on the form, or I would just fax it); can I print out what I enter, before I submit it online? If I get stuck while completing it VONAPP, I am able to save the information I had previously entered?

And as for that medical treatments/dates; I will wing it to the best of my recollection (I have some of my medical records from private physicians being sent out to me next week, and have already requested VAMC records, and as you stated Larry, they should already have them!). I note there is a Release the VA wants me to sign, to release private medical records....should I give them permission to obtain my medical records from private (NON VA) doctors, hospitals, clinics?

I plan on filing for disability for hearing loss, tinnitus, PTSD...all of which is and has been documented ....I don't know if I should include my chronic sinusitis and all the nasal polyp removal surgeries I have been battling for decades as a disability (possibly due to AO? Though I know it isn't yet a recognized AO illness by the VA, but who's to say how many of us exposed to AO has them???). I do know that the sinusitis/polyps CAN CAUSE TINNITIS, however, I had the tinnitis before the sinus/polyps began.....

I note in the instructions on the first page, that if I am applying for compensation ONLY, to "skip parts VII, VIII, IX, X" (Non-Service Connected Pension, Income Information, Net Worth, Medical, Legal, Or Other Expenses, respectively...

I note also in the instructions that I should "attach any materials that support and explain my claim"; if I file it VONAPP that's not possible...

Any words of caution and/or advice?

Thanks to All for making me get my arse in gear....

• HadIt.com Elder

Starting filling out the VA Form 21-526....Plan on completing it on paper, and doing it VONAPP tomorrow (don't see a fax number anywhere on the form, or I would just fax it); can I print out what I enter, before I submit it online? If I get stuck while completing it VONAPP, I am able to save the information I had previously entered?

And as for that medical treatments/dates; I will wing it to the best of my recollection (I have some of my medical records from private physicians being sent out to me next week, and have already requested VAMC records, and as you stated Larry, they should already have them!). I note there is a Release the VA wants me to sign, to release private medical records....should I give them permission to obtain my medical records from private (NON VA) doctors, hospitals, clinics?

I plan on filing for disability for hearing loss, tinnitus, PTSD...all of which is and has been documented ....I don't know if I should include my chronic sinusitis and all the nasal polyp removal surgeries I have been battling for decades as a disability (possibly due to AO? Though I know it isn't yet a recognized AO illness by the VA, but who's to say how many of us exposed to AO has them???). I do know that the sinusitis/polyps CAN CAUSE TINNITIS, however, I had the tinnitis before the sinus/polyps began.....

I note in the instructions on the first page, that if I am applying for compensation ONLY, to "skip parts VII, VIII, IX, X" (Non-Service Connected Pension, Income Information, Net Worth, Medical, Legal, Or Other Expenses, respectively...

I note also in the instructions that I should "attach any materials that support and explain my claim"; if I file it VONAPP that's not possible...

Any words of caution and/or advice?

Thanks to All for making me get my arse in gear....

Call 800-827-1000 and ask for the FAX number for your VA Regional Office. That way you can FAX everything in. Then follow up with a USPS mailing with return receipt requested.

BINGO!

Simple.

Thanks Sarg!

Will complete today and call the number you gave me (I believe my regional office is Cleveland, OH, but they would know for sure....) so I can fax it over to them.....I read over the "VA Claims" section of hadit.com, and find that once received, I'll receive a letter from VA letting me know it was received and what they need from me, correct? This should give me ample time to gather my medical records, evidence, to research, etc...