Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help Not Sure If In Right Place

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hello Been a while since I have came to ask Medical opiniom buth this is a plea I am SC for hypertension/migraines what has happened is that for the last few months my Migraines have gotten aggressive. No changes in diet enviroment etc. MY pain level used to be I could take a shot pop on a pheneraghan and ride out migraine in dark room. Now thw migraines are coming on into a full blown migraine on from start of headache 5 minutes. I have been to Civ and VA ER both results blood pressure through the roof voimiting whole nine yards. Anyone out there got any thing that has helped I am now on VA home oxyegen scheduled for a follow up MRI next week but the migraines are so agressive I was sweating overcome with pain I thought I had a bleed up inside my head. I know others on here have wifes, husbands family who have these damn things but I was told by nuerologist that "Maybe" since my Lower back being all screwed up ( I had 3 level lumbar fusion in May) and changes were noted last year in my upper spine and neck area artheritis could be effecting me. I am using oxyegen and keeping dairy but I really need any thing that you might have heard that helps others with migraines. I was retired from my Civllian job on account of these things back in 2001. I am not kidding around to me a migraine is right up there with being shot You cant breath whole world slows down and you are not sure what is going to happen. Not being dramatic but anything I am open to trying. As to oxyegen so far I can say it has helped some if I start using it wide open right when pain starts also my High blood meds have been increased and I have increased my water intake. Thanks again....

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

So sorry to hear your migraines have progressed to this stage. A little background: vehicle accident resulted in head trauma (2003) and have had major migraines ever since. Thought things were stable, but in the last two years have had two TIAs. Was told by my neurologist that once you've had one TIA, the likelihood of having another increases with each subsequent event. Sounds like you're having mini-strokes. You need medical attention immediately. Reason:

The averaged risk of stroke for all Migraineurs was 2.16 times that of people without Migraine.

Migraineurs who experience Migraine with and without aura had 2.27 and 1.83 times the risk factor of that of non-Migraineurs. (see: http://headaches.about.com/od/migrainediseas1/a/mx_stroke_risk.htm)

Get those appointments pushed up and see a neurologist ASAP. Don't waste any more time reading here - get help!

Limbo is status quo for the VARO.

• HadIt.com Elder

Headaches accociated with Hypertension often start at the base of the neck and runs up the back of the neck. These are also known as Tension Migraines as these can be very painful.

These are connectable if you siffer them on a regular basis. One way to tell they are triggred by HTN is to take your BP when one is active.

My BP shoots when I get one.

You can also get Nausea with these headaches.

The only thing I do for the real bad ones is go to the ER.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Justriuk posted exactly what I was about to post.

He is right-these could be transcient ischemic attacks and they can progress into a full blown stroke if not properly treated. They can be diagnosed via an MRI that a neuro doc will surely order.

The VA settled FTCA with me in part because I proved my husband had numerous ER trips to VA with TIAs and their lack of proper diagnose and treatment caused him a 100% disabling stroke.

This is serious business.

TIAs can present as severe migraine, dizziness, vomiting,blurred and cloudy vision, there are numerous symptoms and they require immediate medical attention.

My husband's TIAs and stroke was from ischemia of his heart (which the VA failed to diagnose and treat as well)

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thank you Ms. Berta for your insight. TIAs are awful and don't paint a pretty picture for the future. oldman273 needs info and attention fast.

Limbo is status quo for the VARO.

I pondered your queation about migraines, and can honestly I say suffer and have suffered form them sinch my USAF days.. I have 50% from headaches.. but I never found a cure.. I only do what most people do, scream and cry for a couple days, sometimes on my head, upside down, in a dark room, if there is a dug that helps, I have never had it, nor been offered it..

I try to take excedrin for migraines.. soemtimes it helps..

Edited by retiredat44

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg