Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Va Hospitals Make "5 Worst Government Services List"

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

According to Fox News, VA Hospitals make the "5 Worst Government Services" list.

This is not news to Veterans, I personally think that the VA is over rated. For example, Professor Linda Bilmes has suggested the VA improve by adopting the IRS "Pay it Now" method to Veterans claims.

Video here:

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4254372/the-nations-five-worst-government-services/?playlist_id=87089

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

CB,

Vets can sue the VA for mal-practice by way of filing a Federal Tort Claim and/or an 1151 VBA claim.

I did and won through mediation.

It's not a whole lot different than having to sue a private/regular hospital for additional

residual disability.

You were one of the lucky ones.. My tort claim was in the system for 2 years when my lawyer dropped my case, and I can't find another lawyer. As to the 1151 claim, well it has been 23 months and still no c/p.....If I was suing a private

hospital I would have already won,

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah but that's your choice. I've been telling you for a bazillion years to go for SSDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind the retro award. Your choice!!! Duh!!!

pr

x

x

x

I am NOT frikn' eligible for SSDI. I have told you this many times. DUH yourself!!!!! ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been treated just as bad if not worse at private hospitals and not all VAMCs are the same you could not pay me to go into Dorn about 5 miles from my house and I willingly drive 70 miles to Augusta VAMC as I have an excellent Primary Care doc, psychiatrist and would not get better care anywhere in Agusta

not to beat a dead horse to death but VA Medical centers have nothing to do with Linda Bilmes and the claims process that she advocates changing to the IRS system of processing accept them onn face value and then audit the ones that make the alarm bells go off the cooks who went on secret black ops and their files are top secret and not even the DOD can authorize the VA to review them you all have heard the war stories that even make us laugh in disgust

yes there are stories of bad medical treatment at the VA across the nation but then again there are also stories of bad treatment at medical centers across the nation that the hospitals settle out of court all the time standard business VA settlements are open records as part of FOIA requests

GM despite people's political ideals is not a government agency it is a stock owned business that will be sold to private investors and the taxpayers money refunded if govt action had not been taken when it was to save all of the us auto dealers even Ford who didn't need the funds would have forced into bankruptcy as parts supplies would have been forced out of business if GM and Chrysler had been folded now we still have the million plus jobs and American are now buying more GM and Ford and Chryslers than foreign auto's the taxpayers may actually make a profit on the deal before it is over but it is not a govt service like the Post Office, the IRS, the VA, the FDA nor the EPA and no not all of them make money govts function is not to make a profit it is to provide services that average citizens can not do for them selves like provide military service, intelligence service, highways, FBI etc the revolution to privatize as many govt jobs did not help us in many ways it has caused the cost of these functions to rise tremendously some of these jobs should be returned to federal service and take private contractors out of the loop because the jobs are still going to be done just should we be rewarding CEOs and stockholders with profits on jobs that should be done by govt employees?

The VA has is't problems but it is not all bad.........lord knows I dislike the claims process......9 years was just plain bad

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use