Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Status Of Dependents Questionnaire

Rate this question

evandc

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

R'cd letter from VARO asking for change in number of dependents. I know many of you r'cd the same communication. It's a pain but I just fill out & return. My problem I can read the letter ok, but the back side with the form is so light I can't read it. The front side of letter say VA Form 21-0538 APR 2009. When I search I can't find that form. Can anyone send me a link to that form.

Thanks,

Don

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello Evanc,,,,,

I do want to bring this up but most of the failures of the VA to recognize the dependants issues are ridiculous. As myself and many others here at Hadit are finding out the 21-0538 forms are being treated as a new claim. That means anywhere from 1-3 years to get the issues settled. Check your ebenefits and see that the 21-0538s Dependants will be showing up as a new claim issue.

Oh yes ,,,,you may relate to this also ,,,,,,that most of us filled the 21-538s out on the original claims issues. Mine was done not once but TWICE because they ignored the first one and now the second one has been in for almost one year. Still have not got this issue resolved and I have talked to several others and the VA took anywhere from a year to over 2 years to get this problem resolved, depending on which VARO you are using.

This is not incompetence ........ it is a planed orchestrated effort from all of the VAROs and is another way to save money for the budget and their wonderful justification of their bonuses. Just imagine how many Veterans or their reps have forgotten about it or just tired and finally quit.

This problem is real and is affecting all of our veterans ,,,,, so don't feel alone,,,,,you have alot of company........... unfortunately. I hope you will have some good news for us about your issue. Just another situation that you must NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

CC is correct. VA wants us to "be in the military one more time" with its dependent forms. Have we not been through enough? I know i HAVE.

A telephone VA rep told me the VA deliberately "wipes out" the Vets dependents and, when the claim is awarded, awards the benefit as single, no kids, even when the vet included dependent information on the original claim form. Why? Well, they think Vets are all deadbeat dads, drunks etc, and we will get a divorce and abandon our kids while waiting on the VA to process benefits. So, they wipe out our dependendents and then make us apply for dependents a second time. Why? Because we think we have already sent in birth certs etc., so we dont need to do it again, and, if you dont send in dependent information AGAIN, the VA assumes we are abandoning our dependents claim.

There is no regulation requiring Vets to complete forms TWICE to be paid. Still, the VA gets away with it because, in the decision, it clearly states you are being paid as a single person with no kids, AND THAT, TOO BECOMES FINAL AFTER A YEAR. So the VA deliberately makes a mistake (removing our dependents) and then pulls out the "your claim is final" as an excuse not to pay us dependent retro. Its a ripoff.

In fall 2011 I was asked to provide school attendance information for my Son who turned 18 on Dec 7, 2011. I submitted it on-line gave them all the attachments Letter indicating his expected graduation, school details ect. I filled out a second line on the form for his college attendance attached the acceptance letter, and his pre-registration fees, housing deposit ect. Six months later they put him back on the award for only his high school time. I called and asked why he wasn't good for his college attendance and they said they can only process one school attendance request at a time and that I had to submit another form for his college attendance. They did not care that they had everything they needed to grant, they only cared about "the Process".

No CARE, No COMMON SENSE, and NO COMPASSION.

Best regards,

I have also filed for a dependency claim. I am going on 8 months now and waithing. My original award date was in July/2012. The claim for dependency is showing in ebennies completion date 8/2013. Should I submit another VA form 21-686c?