VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav, Good Or Bad?

Rate this question

abean

Question

Don't know much about the organization. All I know is that they seem to know more about my husbands claim than me, hubby, and VA. We really don't know how they got our info. Are they legit? Is it an edge to use them?

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cool - How long have you been delayed because of the copy request? I put my request in, in early February.

This was back in December 2010 when I filed for my C-file. I spoke to the DAV and they informed me that you should never ask for that C-file when you have an on going claim. I requested this after I received a past decision. I thought it would only take a few weeks to get this. However this is treated like you requested a new claim, have to wait in line. SO after 9 months(October 4th) they finally sent me my copy. Unfortunately I put in a reconsideration and an appeal so I caused my claim to go on hold while they copied my filed. WHen you request a C-file it can take up to 3-9 months to get that done. (at least in my state) And if you have a claim waiting for decision, they will take that file away from the raters pile, it won't be there when its your turn, thus, your claim goes to the bottom, Lesson learned- never do this. The DAV did a good job on this explaining to me my error as I sent this in on my own without there knowledge.Some Veterans here get there C-file much quicker then I did, I am clueless why it took so long for myself. So if you are willing to wait this length of time to get it before you file a claim-good luck!

Edited by COOL BREEZE

We routinely review C-files and in general prior to a final rating...where we see what was submitted by us and by the claimant on their own, what medical statements were submitted and weigh the evidence ...we see everything from induction documents, Art. 15's from service up to present day...we also conduct complete file reviews when composing legal arguments at the local level and prior to certification to BVA.

Edited by rakkwarrior

• HadIt.com Elder

Rak, that is a very good thing that you are doing. Many VSO's dont do that, they just write and file without looking at the Veterans evidence. As an advocate. Proactivity such as this is a very well defined art as your input to the Veteran while actually seeing his claim inside and out is the strongest benefit available.

JBasser