Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Lay Person Claims To Be Vets Advocate

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Not looking at this morally or ethically is this legal for someone to do this? Apparently calls self "advocate" not a VSO and is versed in the claims process and appeal process. Don't know this person, and someone asked if he can legally do this? Don't know if he is a vet or not either. He has assisted a few vets and they give him a small fee for his work.

Is this legal? He does not set a fee, just does some minimum wage amount. These vets were not complaining, but were so glad to get someone to help them. I don't know if this is a side business or what either. Is there such a business someone could be doing this if not a lawyer?

I know there are volunteer VSO's and paid VSO's for agency's but is it possible for someone to do this or take the VSO training and open a legit business?

I just didn't know how to answer these questions, as I never heard of anyone doing this before?? Answers appreciated to pass on to these guys. Thanks.:blink:

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

"One person said he took a basic training correspondence course in veterans benefits and got award certification."

If he means the Certificate from NVLSP from their basic training course-I have one to on my wall and I assume others here have gone through their training program as well

I am planning on taking the new course from NVLSP this month as my NVLSP certificate is from 1997.I maintain training by buying and reading the annual VBMs that NVLSP writes.

These certificates from NVLSP are only the first step in becoming a NSO or vet rep.

Dak to- I don't consider myself or any of the advocates here to be "kibitzers."

We are providing free advise to vets and their survivors based on years of personal VA experience and based on years of dealing with the regulations.

NVLSP recognizes us every year in their dedication page in the VBM.

I suggest that halos call NVLSP or the VA General COunsel (will get out their numbers and post here)with questions on whether an advocate can charge a fee.I would think reasonable research fees might be appropriate to charge a vet as good research takes time and lots of PC paper,phone calls etc etc.

I have never asked any vet for money and in some cases some local claims have cost me money and I take offense that you think we are simply kibitzers when many questions here take me considerable time off the board to think about and research a little before I reply to them.As well as for the other advocates here too I am sure.

I know plenty of advocates who do not even update or use the VBM which is the "bible" of veterans advocacy and in that respect their advise might be very good but it also might be dated advise as some regs change every year and new precedent setting CAVC cases come into play.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Office of General COunsel VA - Washington DC 1-202-273-6660 (Fax 1-202-273-6385)

National Veterans Legal Services Program Washington DC 1-202-273-6660

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't wish to cast stones here, however, as a non professional, and as a veterans advocate for over four decades, taking money for helping a vet just doesn't sit right with me.

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

I think if a vet asks for your help and you spend time, energy,etc....

helping them and fill out papers to help them and they want to give you

something because their claim finally gets granted - due to your help,

accept it and tell each other thanks.

I helped a buddy out and got him increased up from 40% to 80 %.

His retro check was over 10K.

He bought me a computer router and spent a couple of hours setting it up for me,

took us out to a nice dinner and everyone was happy.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Many times you can put lots of time and energy into helping a claimant and during

all the work they will go on and on about, Yea man, if my issues get granted or

increased I'm going to treat you buddy. Then when the issues do get granted

they become a ghost in your life, with nothing but a smile and a thanks and you

rarely hear from them again, unless they want to try and get something more

from the VA.

Some claimants just don't have the time, patience, energy or where with all to deal

with the VBA and or a VSO.

JMHO

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think if a vet asks for your help and you spend time, energy,etc....

helping them and fill out papers to help them and they want to give you

something because their claim finally gets granted - due to your help,

accept it and tell each other thanks.

I helped a buddy out and got him increased up from 40% to 80 %.

His retro check was over 10K.

He bought me a computer router and spent a couple of hours setting it up for me,

took us out to a nice dinner and everyone was happy.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Some claimants just don't have the time, patience, energy or where with all to deal

with the VBA and or a VSO.

JMHO

You heart is in the right place, carlie. Yours was a wounderful story of vets helping vets.

My objection is to mercenary endeavors.

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

• HadIt.com Elder

When a Vet asks me for help how can I deny them after all I get a check every month from the VA. I insist on no payment and that my help is limited to my understanding at the time. I can help a Veteran fill out forms but most of my work is to encourage the Vet during the process.

When a Vet has insisted on paying I ask them to use the money to help other Veterans. Helping Veterans is an avocation.

I have heard of the VA granting some kind of status to people who pass a written test to help Veterans.

By the way if the VA worked the way it should there would be no need for people to help Veterans get their earned benefits. The VA would do it as part of their job.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.