Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not A Presumptive

Rate this question

hulamatt

Question

So i have been told that psychosis is a presumptive, but it is only for pow's, which makes since. I wonder if schizophrenia would be a chronic disease, because it doesnt list any mental diseases when giving examples, this might not be as easy as i thought

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

So i have been told that psychosis is a presumptive, but it is only for pow's, which makes since. I wonder if schizophrenia would be a chronic disease, because it doesnt list any mental diseases when giving examples, this might not be as easy as i thought

Certainly schizophrenia IS a "chronic disease", in that you don't come down with schizophrenia like you do the flu, only to get better after some of Grandma's Chicken Soup. (although my Grandma's chicken soup WAS a "healing experience":rolleyes: ).

And, obviously, you CAN suffer from various psychosi WITHOUT having been a P.O.W. (just that it would NOT be a "presumptive" UNLESS you were a P.O.W.).

just sayin'..........

• HadIt.com Elder

If you had schizophrenia in service or within one year of discharge you could get a presumption of service connection. If you have the illness ten years after discharge and there is nothing in your SMR's about some mental illnes then you have a problem.

"So i have been told that psychosis is a presumptive, but it is only for pow's,"

Who told you that? They are wrong.

I posted the chronic presumptives regulations here many times opver the years and in regards to your questions in the past here as well.

A former member here proved his schizophrenia was a chronic presumptive and other vets have done that too.

The POW regs are separate from the chronic presumptive regs which are in 38 USC 1112.

This is one of many claims that fall into the chronic presumptive regs:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp10/files1/1010783.txt

for schizophrenia

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

I have allways found the "presumptive regulations" confusing as well! ~Wings