VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi And Va All Over With, Finally

Rate this topic

beenwaiting8years

I never figured that the VA would be more difficult to get than the SSDI, but it was for me at least.

I applied for SSDI, and five months later it was awarded and has been reexamined since. Still receiving that benefit.

The VA was a completely opposite experience. First, they denied the initial claim and said they were unable to retrieve any military medical records on me at all.

My military records somehow had vanished, so I tracked down the doctor who saw me during the service and had him write up a simple summary of dates and diagnosis.

Then I appealed the VA denial, and waited another 8 years on appeal status.

Finally, after almost 10 years from the initial claim, the VA awarded 100% and back paid to the original claim date. Ten years of back pay at 100%.

Needless to say it was a relief to get it finished. I had so many VSOs tell me that I'd never get this claim approved.

All I can tell you is to ignore the naysayers and the more medical paperwork you have, the better.

I saw a doctor at least once a year and sometimes quite a bit more and submitted every shred of medical document I could get as further proof.

It also helped a lot to have a doctor write that it was their opinion that the condition was directly linked to my military service.

The Board of Veteran Appeals gives extreme weight to such testimony over anything a VA doctor may say to the contrary.

Just keep at it, and think positively no matter what you're told. I've learned quite a bit about staying the course. Feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beenwaiting8years. oh my goodness, this is finally all that you worked for. Congrats and spend it wisely. I am happy that you will be able to have this justice in your lifetime too. It is amazing when you look at your bank statement and no longer see red ink, but all black and POSITIVE BALANCES! Enjoy my friend, enjoy. It's like you hit the lottery, only better, NO TAXES TO BE PAID. BTW one never knows which agency will take longer to grant, VA or SSA. Different for people too.

MANY here can relate to what you posted.

You did a lot of leg work to track down that doctor and "submitted every shred of medical document I could get as further proof."

Good for you.

It took me many months to track down a former VA neuro- to see if he somehow could help me regarding an entry he had made in the med recs.

I found him in private practice and he responded and asked for copies of the Med recs with his entry and the blood work.

The blood work chart was very hard to read and VA had cut it off on the copy to leave out some of the test initials. It took me many more months to get VA to send me a better copy.

Finally he responded again with a 2 sentence email.By then I had contacted an IMO doc who was thrilled with this email and ad the Neuro put it onto his letterhead.

I had 2 IMos and the very brief neuro email and the BVA gave all of them equal weight.

In the almost 7 years that claim took, not a week went by when I didn't look for more evidence and often ended up sending them more.

"I had so many VSOs tell me that I'd never get this claim approved"

Me too and after they dropped my POA and I got the award I called them all up and told them they got no credit for having no faith in what ended up being a little lower than a 6 figure award. :wink:

My I

Edited by Berta

Hello Beenwaiting,

CONGRATULATIONS,,,,,,,, your perseverance and persistance has been rewarded. It encourages all of us who are still waiting for the VA to move our claims. I am still one of those. NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use