VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thr Newest Ptsd Diagnosis Rules- A Little Bi Confused!

Rate this question

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

I need some clarification on the newest PTSD Diagnosis Rules. I sent in my PTSD claim with form 21-0781 and have all the stressors needed.

When I started going to my local VA mental health LCSW, I was told that the local va mental health lady could diagnose me. I am still under treatment. On Monday of this week I went to my VA PCP for my 6 month visit. He said that I needed a PTSD diagnosis. He also asked when I was going to ask to get my disability ratings increased. All he kept saying is" I am so sorry, I am so sorry-bad things seems to happen to good people".

Why would they schedule me for my PTSD C& P on March 8th, without the diagnosis they want and need? if I do not have a diagnosis from a psychiatrist, why have the appointment for a C&P? Is this not the cart before the horse?

The C& P is being done by a psychiatrist. Will they diagnose me during the exam? The mental lady @ the local VA said that my exam was about 3 hours long. We have a friend that is now working for the VA in the mental health department. She told us about it recently that THEY NOW JUST IMPLEMENTED NEW RULES. Has anyone heard of it? We go tomorrow to my neurology visit and will stop by and see. She is trying to get that info for us. I walked too much last week to be able to go to her office and check to see what she found out.

I hope I can take 'my girlfriend " in with me( this is my portable oxygen tank). I do not know what I will do if it runs out.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place-but it is sorta in claims and also in C&P.

Any imput will be greatfully appreciated.

Rockman

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Rockman,

You're going to do fine. :smile:

I understand your confusion about where to post; this is a large forum and it can be confusing.

Don't worry- if it's not the best spot for replies, a moderator will move it for you.

The VA will handle what's needed for your PTSD claim.

Others will add their comments.

The new PTSD rules in here in the PTSD forum:

They have been challenged in court:

There are now 6 vet lawyer orgs and Vets orgs on the caption but I have no info yet on any further court stuff.

In the PTSD forum is a BVA case decided under the new criteria.

I need some clarification on the newest PTSD Diagnosis Rules. I sent in my PTSD claim with form 21-0781 and have all the stressors needed.

Why would they schedule me for my PTSD C& P on March 8th, without the diagnosis they want and need? if I do not have a diagnosis from a psychiatrist, why have the appointment for a C&P? Is this not the cart before the horse?

The C& P is being done by a psychiatrist. Will they diagnose me during the exam?

rockman,

Part of "the newest PTSD Diagnosis Rules", state that the PTSD needs to be diagnosed

by DOD or VA mental health.

If the VA has actually conceded your "stressors", then they are supposed to implement

their duty to assist, which part of would involve a decision maker requesting a C&P exam

to actually state diagnosis and determine current level of disability.

So, no this is not at all putting "the cart before the horse".

It is what they are supposed to do to adjudicate claims issues.

JMHO

Thanks. I thought that I would be okay, since it is all going thru the VA. When my PCP said that I do need to be diagnosed for PTSD, I started wondering why the C& P before they had it that I had PTSD. My therapist knows that I am going on Tuesday, so she must know that all of my ducks are in a row, so to speak. Not much longer and all of this sweating will be over with. They say not to worry, but that is a little hard to do. As each day ends, one less to go.

Rockman

• HadIt.com Elder

Somebody needs to DX you with PTSD at the VA. If the C&P doctor does not DX you with PTSD you won't get SC'ed for it. It would help if a VA doctor also DX'ed you with PTSD. Do you see a psychiatrist at the VA?

Somebody needs to DX you with PTSD at the VA. If the C&P doctor does not DX you with PTSD you won't get SC'ed for it. It would help if a VA doctor also DX'ed you with PTSD. Do you see a psychiatrist at the VA?

I have seeing the Licensed Clinical Social Worker at our local VA CBOC. She never said anything about having a psychiatrist to DX me. After my first visit on 09/10/10, they wanted me to go to a 6 week inhouse in Memphis. I was working and could not take off. They said that I could also do a 12 week program at the local CBOC. This past Monday was my week #12 for CPT. I do have one for next week, the day before ny C& P exam. Is this saying that since I have the Nam stressors (PH, Bronze Star with V Device etc.) then they may make a diagnosis at the C& P exam?