Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Journey To Get A Psd - Ptsd Service Dog

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

As some of you may know my sweet little pug Etta James passed away Sept 29, 2010. It's been a difficult mourning process for me and as the immobilizing grief started to ease I felt a deep loneliness. I thought about another dog, however I'm not at the point in my life where a puppy is a good solution for me nor is a shelter dog.

I thought a lot about my little Etta and began to realize I needed not just a pet but also a partner who could help me with my PTSD. Looking back over the years I could see how my Etta helped me do that from nightmares to strange noises she was always there to reassure me and just seemed to naturally learn when she needed to clown and when she needed to cuddle. I thought about how unlikely it would be to find another dog like that.

However, not wanting to give up I started researching breeds and came across information on service dogs for veterans with PTSD, I read a bunch and watched a lot of videos. I talked to my psychologist and to my psychiatrist about it, both agreed it would be good for me. I called the VA to find out about it, I looked on the internet, I had a bit of a hard time finding information on anything in my area.

With some luck I found a place in my area that does train PTSD service dogs, I called my PTSD clinic nurse manager and she had heard of the organization and they had a good reputation. So I took a deep breath and called them, they were very helpful and kind. I completed my application and mailed it in yesterday. So we will see what happens. My psychiatrist has to fax them a form confirming I have a diagnosis of PTSD and hopefully they will do that sooner rather than later. The application process takes time, I've completed the first step. If my application is accepted then they will schedule a home visit. When a dog is a available I must attend a two week training session which is to train me on how to work with the dog and to develop a bond between me and my new best friend.

If you want to read about the organization that I went through their website is here http://supportdogs.org/ If you want to watch some videos about PTSD dogs you can find some here http://ow.ly/4bz6n

I'll post back here to let you know whether my application is accepted or not. Wish me luck!

• Answers 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• Founder

Yeah, Cinder post-1-0-99813600-1361061129_thumb.jpg and I graduation from Service Dog Train on Friday. There is much to tell, but I got the what I think is the flew for the last 4 days of training, so I must rest. Be sure, though, that I will be posting the graduation story soon as get over this flu.

Here's some cliff hangers to keep you interested, :)

Inspiring people, children whose bravery puts me to shame.

It will answer the question where will Tbird go now that she has Cinder.

You may cry.

You may laugh.

Other than the flu I am joyful and optimistic, yes, you read that right optimistic, who woulda thunk it?

• Founder

I had the same problem BVA 11/21/11. no letter or anything till 5/15/12 I fill it's best to go fishing and stop the mind blowing worrying. Remember who you're dealing with.....congrats on decision...

post-1-0-17194400-1362231176_thumb.jpgCinder is a Psychiatric Service Dog (PTSD) and also helps me with my balance.

The first Wed of training I got to bring Cinder home and what a experience, the very next day I went to take a shower, before Cinder my showers consisted of putting something in front of the door of the bathroom to give me an early warning if someone was entering and instead of being able to relax and enjoy my shower I rushed through and would constantly need to peek out from the shower curtain and listen and look to make sure everything was safe. That first Thurs I got into the shower, put Cinder in a down in front of the tub and the worry just wasn't there, I enjoyed my shower and felt safe and this is very big.

After I got dressed, Cinder and I took a short walk around the block and it was the first time in several years I was able to not only walk around the block, I was able to enjoy it and my hyper vigilance settled a bit.

Each day after that it just keeps getting better and I am optimistic that it will continue, and folks optimistic is not something I feel very often. Besides the PTSD and balance issues I also have a Agoraphobia and Major Depression, so while these may sound like very small steps for me, they are enormous.

From the first day of training, everyone I met at support dogs, seemed to have a secret with the unspoken words "You'll see", it wasn't a secret because they didn't want to tell me, it was a secret because it just cannot be explained in words what the experience is like and it is transformational, my whole word changed for the better because of one little dog named Cinder and a whole lot of people the volunteers and staff at support dogs.

So Cinder is wonderful, Support Dogs, Inc. is great and the bonus, my teammates. There were 4 of us getting our service dogs in my class each and everyone of them and their families were inspirational and good people,

post-1-0-47995400-1362231228_thumb.jpgLet me start with Zach, about 11 years old. Zach was born with Spina Bifda and had 21 surgeries in his short life when I met him. He walks with braces, he can't feel his legs from the knees down, but he walks and that would be amazing enough, but he is a super sweet kid with great sense of humor. He had fetal surgery when his mom Christina was pregnant, they took him out of her did the surgery and put him back and now he has two birthdays. His mom Christina is an EMT, a breast cancer survivor and big supporter of veterans. I do not know how she keeps it together, but she does, her husband Brian, Zach's step dad is former Marine, Iraq Veteran I believe he served 12 or 16 years and it was my great pleasure to meet him and Christina. After our 45 adjustment period to being home with our dogs they haven't me over to dinner and I think that is great! Zach's dog is a Golden Retriever named Wonka and he loves his Zach and Zach loves him. It is wonderful that he has this new friend to go through all he must continue to go through. Here's a picture of Zach and Wonka, check out that smile! Brian, Christina and Zach all cheered me on.

post-1-0-04011000-1362231289_thumb.jpgNow to Shruthi, what can I say about Shruthi, just to much for words. Shruthi was born with Larson's Syndrome, Wow what an experience sitting by Schruthi everyday. She is a face first into life, seemingly fearless, engaged and enjoying life. She calls Stover her Chocolate Boy and they are in love for sure. If you have time watch this video of her. Cathy, her mom, explains it better than me and Cathy is good and kind woman with real resolve. https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=3286901298910

Zach and Schruthi wow, watching them and brought tears to my eyes and that is rare indeed.

post-1-0-47141700-1362231319_thumb.jpgThan there is Staci and Milo, Staci is a social worker at a school and deals with kids who have been abused and Milo is a touch dog and helps her help the kids. Milo is perfect for kids, he is a clown and has a great personality and a great fit with Staci who is a compassionate woman doing good work for those kids whose experience with adults has been bad. Perhaps that is why they can talk with Milo easier than talking to an adult. She was very supportive of me and kept me breathing and laughing when my anxiety raised it's ugly head. I will always be grateful to her for that.

I wish I could find the words to express how grateful I am to folks at Support Dogs, Inc. every single person I met there seemed invested in my success and seemed to really care about me, if the VA treated us this way life would be a lot less stressful and painful.