VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Ever So Whimisical Gaf

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Yesterday, I saw my VA shrink. I usually see him 4 times a year. We had a short visit which included I was one of his oldest patients in time not age. We had been through a lot in last three years and before I went home I dropped by to review my progress notes. In over three years I have received 13 GAF's. They were all 50 no more no less. Than I read the description which said I was dressed neatly, my eye contact was appropriate I appeared to be able to concentrate and focused compared to worse summations of our visit and yet my GAF was always 50.

So the point is and I have said before that there is no reason to get all balled up about a GAF as it is an opinion. You cannot do a blood draw and some lab work and get a GAF. So whether I am doing well are am deeply depressed and anxious my GAF stays the same.

I realize that my shrink has one major job at the VA and that is to set me up and ok medication. Don't get me wrong I like my Shrink he is a very pleasant person and I am going to say he is pro Veteran as he understands the game as well as most.

Another thing a record for me is that now I have had him and my PCP going on 4 years a real record for me at my VA. Other good news is my labs came back pretty good including a 15% drop in A1C with no weight gain. I also scored an appointment to get tested and new hearing aide March 24th. Maybe I can even get a diagnosis of tinnitus so I can present new medical evidence for tinnitus I have had since 1995?

The VAMC I go to now is so much different than the one I started with 21 years ago.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

What is the reason by medical evidence, for your Tinnitus and

is it recurrent. If you don't have a diagnosis for it yet from Audiology,

just in your opinion - what do you feel is the cause of your Tinnitus ?

• HadIt.com Elder

I served in the Army Air Cav next to the Motor Pool with no ear protection. I did not play the radio loud nor did I go to loud concerts. I actually was very sensitive to loud sounds and could hear quite well when I went into Army.

When I separated I had to sign a waiver cause I could not pass the hearing test to the satisfaction of the people who said sign the waiver or could take longer to leave.

The waiver has now mysteriously disappeared but the hearing exam is in my record.

Thanks for asking.

Pete