VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living Program - Comprehensive List Of Items Received

Rate this question

fanaticbooks

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am NO expert in this field. Actually, I am no anything in this field. All knowledge of the ILP program has been gleaned through research and topics broached by veterans or via the VA website.

Having said that, according to all I have read, when requesting items/services while in the ILP, it is necessary to NEED these goods/services. In order to even possibly get them (whatever them is) you must be ready to prove your NEED of these NEEDS. That is why I have started another topic to create a Template for the PLAN. Whether it is accurate or not, you the veteran will have to tell me. PLEASE tell me!

In conjunction with that and the other topic I created (Independent Living Program Information), I have started this topic, taking its origin from one Ilyanir on VBN created. There it seems to have produced a LOT of good information about what you can expect (or not) and actually get. It seems very worthwhile.

I am using Ilyanir's words to explain here since they are very succinct.

"It seems that there are great discrepancies in the way that the Independent Living Program is being administered from Region to Region and even counselor to counselor.

I understand every veterans needs, etc. are different but a persons avocational needs, i.e., hobbies should be adequately addressed as well as service to help them live more independently.

Falcon (Note from FB: another VBN member) recommended that we start this list of "JUST THE SUPPLIES AND SERVICES" that you have received while you were either in the Independent Living Program or what if anything you've been given to date.

Please just list the items and services that you have received along with the Region, etc.

What I don't want is for everyone to start getting off topic and talking about other items such as problems, etc.

What I want for this thread to contain is just the items received, what you've requested and been denied and the Region that you are in for your Independent Living Services.

That way when a counselor or director at one region tries to shoot you down and tell you that for example, "We don't buy laptops," you can come back and show them that yes the VA does buy laptops and here's a comprehensive list of services that other veterans have received by region, etc."

From fanaticbooks:

I cannot offer advice since I do not have actual knowledge of this system. Just so you all know my ignorance. I would not want to steer anyone wrong.

Now to start everyone off, here is a combined list from multiple veterans on VBN who received items. I won't go into the requested and not yet received or regions....too complicated to do that. Maybe, however, this list will give ideas to others about what could be needed.

I wish you all the best.

fanaticbooks

List of items received, multiple veterans

digital camera

Multiple Camera accessories

Picture printer with accessories

Laptop computer w/wireless remote

Printer

Other computer accessories

Computer software

Planning calendar

Correspondence course

How-To Books

Home study course (financial management/investing)

Adjustable Hospital type chair

Lift Chair/Recliner w/Infra-red heat, massage, lumbarsupport—raises, lowers and reclines by remote attached to chair.

Bathtub chair

Shiatsu chair

Orthopedic bed with hospital controls

Shiatsu massager table bed

Memory foam mattress

Body pillow

Temperpedic pillow

Temperpedic mattress

Inversion table

Auto back support system

Shiatsu auto seat massager

Non-slip shower mat

Shower head w/hose

Hand rail in shower

Hand rails

Kitchen stairs stool

Long handled shoe horn

Long handled reacher

Long handled sponge

Alarm system with a panic button

Intercom system

Electric Can opener

Bowflex home gym

Power scooter

Riding lawn mower

Leaf collection system

John Deer garden tractor w/snow blower, tiller, aerator,dethatcher, mower deck and leaf vacuum

Central vacuum unit

Gas range

Roland Fantom G8 Workstation / Keyboard / Synthesizer

Roland Amplifier for Piano

Stand for Keyboard

Stool for Keyboard

Headphones for keyboard

Electric guitar and amp

Guitar lessons

Room addition to house laundry facilities

Renovating master bath and all toilets to ADA standard

Concrete floor 30 x 60 ft, heater included greenhouse

Miller wire-feed welder

Side Grinder

Band saw for metal

18" re saw band saw for wood

10" delta table saw

Hitachi 12" combination cut off saw

Sawdust collection unit

Dewalt screw gun

Clamps

Supply of steel for a project

Knifesmithing lessons

Tools to make knives

Sculpture molding and casting – two sculptures

Edited by fanaticbooks

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for the list. I was happy to see the bath tub andb athroom remodel to ADA standards. I have been trying on and off for 4 years to get Independent Living to help me remove a sunken tub and replace with a walkin shower with a bench,'

'So far nothing but false promises, meetings and nothing happening