Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

"hidden" Va Benefits?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

There is a rumor that there are "hidden" VA benefits? Is it true? YES!! Try finding this one on the VA website

Please, post YOUR hidden benefit you found out about!

1. Free phone for (some) Hard of Hearing Veterans. Your doctor or audiologist may have to approve it, and you will definitely have to ask for it. The audiologist will have to think it will help you.

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would sure like to know more about getting some free shoes through the VA because I had to pay 150.00 for mine for a service connected disability that prosthetics claim they don't pay for. I have moderate foot drop and podiatry has told me its gotten worse so they took away my old brace that was soft and plastic and ordered some ordered metal brace that gets attached to the actual shoes itself. I have not received this one as yet they are making it as the shoes had to be ordered by this ortho shoe store that I had to go to in the process. Anyway, when I was told that I needed the brace and that the VA would provide it free of charge it was explained to me that I simply needed to get the shoes and take it to the outside prosthetic company the VA had contracted to make the brace so I was cool with that. I was then told that I need to go to a ortho shoe store and purchase some shoes. I had no idea that after explaining and showing them the perscription for the brace at the ortho store that those shoes cost 150.00. I called Prosthetics and inquired before paying and they said that the shoes was on me and in order to get the brace I needed for my serivice connected injured foot I would need to purchase the shoes. :ohmy: So any help would be appreciated if you know of how to get free shoes because I am on a fixed income and have children at home and 150.00 is alot for our family. thanks.

Michelee

Hey Michellee,

Here is the regulation governing the giving of shoes from the prosthetics department

38 CFR 17.150 - Prosthetic and similar appliances.

Code of Federal Regulations - Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

Read more: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/17-150-prosthetic-similar-appliances-19775033#ixzz1HOecpORo

Click on the links above, you need to get a prescription from your primary care in most cases, or an orthopedic surgeon and have them submit this to prosthetics. Without a prescription you can't get them. If you have problems have a copy of the regs to show them, some people working at the VA don't even know they can do this until it comes up, and showing them they can do it by the regs, may be all you need to do.

I would sure like to know more about getting some free shoes through the VA because I had to pay 150.00 for mine for a service connected disability that prosthetics claim they don't pay for. I have moderate foot drop and podiatry has told me its gotten worse so they took away my old brace that was soft and plastic and ordered some ordered metal brace that gets attached to the actual shoes itself. I have not received this one as yet they are making it as the shoes had to be ordered by this ortho shoe store that I had to go to in the process. Anyway, when I was told that I needed the brace and that the VA would provide it free of charge it was explained to me that I simply needed to get the shoes and take it to the outside prosthetic company the VA had contracted to make the brace so I was cool with that. I was then told that I need to go to a ortho shoe store and purchase some shoes. I had no idea that after explaining and showing them the perscription for the brace at the ortho store that those shoes cost 150.00. I called Prosthetics and inquired before paying and they said that the shoes was on me and in order to get the brace I needed for my serivice connected injured foot I would need to purchase the shoes. :ohmy: So any help would be appreciated if you know of how to get free shoes because I am on a fixed income and have children at home and 150.00 is alot for our family. thanks.

We are a Vietnam vet and vet's wife, we are not lawyers or VSO's we're just learning as we go.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Michellee,

Here is the regulation governing the giving of shoes from the prosthetics department

38 CFR 17.150 - Prosthetic and similar appliances.

Code of Federal Regulations - Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

Read more: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/17-150-prosthetic-similar-appliances-19775033#ixzz1HOecpORo

Click on the links above, you need to get a prescription from your primary care in most cases, or an orthopedic surgeon and have them submit this to prosthetics. Without a prescription you can't get them. If you have problems have a copy of the regs to show them, some people working at the VA don't even know they can do this until it comes up, and showing them they can do it by the regs, may be all you need to do.

V.A. has a benefit called a V.A. clothing allowance when a veteran has a brace for a service connected disability that wears out clothing. This is a benefit that has to be applied for and provides an annual clothing allowance.

• HadIt.com Elder

For veterans who already have a 100% rating and who have one or more additional service connected disabilities there are some additional hidden benefits in 38 USC 1114 for veterans rated 60% or more for a service connected disability. Also I read here on hadit awhile back that there is a half step increase for veterans who have a 100% rating and an additional 50% or more. I've talked to totally disabled vets who were not told when they got their 100% rating that they could get CHAMPVA benefits and dependents educational assistance for their spouses and children, that they could have state disabled veteran property tax exemptions, and state disabled veteran license plates. (These latter two are state benefits and vary from state to state but the letter authorizing those state benefits comes from V.A.) V.A. also have some sort of automobile grant for buying an auto that has adaptive equipment for a service connected handicap. For spouses of totally disabled veterans there is also the hidden benefit of the CITI program but recently that hidden benefit was mentioned in the CHAMPVA handbook. For veterans who have a school age child age 18 or more who is still in high school there is the hidden benefit of a school age child benefit paid as Additional Compensation for Dependents. That benefit is far more generous than the additional compensation for dependents paid for other children less than 18. (Last time I checked it was close to $150.00 per month for children of a totally disabled vet and a slightly lesser amount for veterans with a lower rating.) To get a school age child benefit the veteran has to file a Request for Approval of School Attendance form. When a child of a totally disabled veteran turns 18 and is still in high school there are ways to continue CHAMPVA and Social Security benefits on that child through V.A. and Social Security. (Contact V.A. and Social Security for details. Social Security will only pay to age 19 and 2 months for a high school child.) For veterans who are on pension there are ways to offset medical bills off pension. I know one veteran here in Montana who receives lodging for his wife and he both before and after surgery because this veteran's wife is his attendant. I think this veteran developed a hernia during service and I am unsure whether this veteran's recent surgery was for a service connected disability.

Edited by deltaj

Hey caubulldog,

Lodging is available at any VA if you travel more than 50miles each way or more than two hours total.

If you qualify for lodging then you also qualify for a meal ticket and your usual travel pay.

This is found in:

38 C.F.R. § 60.5 Travel.

Title 38 - Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

§ 60.5 Travel. As a condition for receiving temporary lodging under this part, a veteran must be required to travel either 50 or more miles, or at least two hours from his or her home to the VA health care facility, except that the facility Director at the VA health care facility of jurisdiction may make an exception to distance or time provisions based on exceptional circumstances, such as condition of the veteran, inclement weather, road conditions, or the mode of transportation used by the veteran.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501, 1708)

I know it is in the regulations sir but as they say in Louisiana, Laws we don't need no stinking laws. When I was transferred to Houston for surgery is when I found out about this added benefit. I am 120 miles from Alexandria and the only extras I have received were meal tickets.

Hello everyone. I would like to thank you all for posting this as I was not aware of some of these hidden benefits. I also wanted to let some of you know that the VA also provides the supportive stockings for your feet for those who either have Peripheral Neuropathy or if you have DMII. I used the VA to get 2 pair of the custom fitted stockings and they do help with my neuropathy. There is also the eyeglasses program which is available that I have used. There is a HISA program for not only ramps to access your entrance if you are wheelchair bound but also a Hot tub allotment. Let me warn you that the hot tub allotment is for about 5500 to 6000 dollars or thereabouts, but you have to go thru the contractor to submit plans for approval and it must fitted into your bathroom, which shot me down. The HISA program can work for other Vets but it just could not work in my case. Also the type of hot tub makes a big difference. If you don't have enough jets in the tub or its not powerful enough on the cirulating features, the results will not be substantial enough. I physically went to the companies and tried the floor models out. I also researched with others who had them and after I finally tried several models , I made my decision. IF I HAD NOT TRIED THEM OUT , I would have made a mistake and bought one that would not have done the job. I cannot stress the point that the only relief I have had from the Peripheral Neuropathy is Hydrotheraphy from the hot tub. I use it every day, sometimes 2 -3 times. The VA makes the HISA program a tough one to get thru but it can be done but you may end up with only limited results due to lessor performance from smaller models. I ended up spending the 10000 dollars and put it on my back porch. It is the only thing that has given me some relief from the Pain from Peripheral Neuropathy. You can also deduct this from your Federal Income tax on medical deductions.

For those Vets who are suffering from muscle or nerve damage , the hydrotherapy from the hot tub is the ONLY relief I have gotten from these chemical exposure diseases. My VA podiatrist and my private Neurologist both wrote prescriptions for me and when I signed my contract for the hot tub, I was eligible for the state tax exemption. The company I did business with, got me the state tax form and filled it out with the prescriptions attached and it saved me about 810.00 in state sales tax. So there are many extras not just in the VA but also outside the VA that help to financially make it better.

Thank you all again for posting this as it helped me to see some other programs offered. Isn't this site unbelievable? GOD BLESS< NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.