VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Support Statement From Wife- Good Or Bad?

Rate this question

Infantry1985

Question

Could you guys look at this support statement from my wife and tell me if its good or bad? I'm going for an increase in my right should connection because I have pain all the time and my mobility is pretty much shot. I'm currently 40% total for my lower back, nerve damage in legs, and right shoulder(10%).

Thanks in advance,

T

Wife Statement.pdf

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Depression due to chronic pain and disability. You need a psychiatrist to say it and make the link to your shoulder pain and disability. If your sleep is poor due to pain that is another factor. Google chronic pain disorder. I have miserable shoulder pain as well. I get shots in my shoulder which sets me off from steroids. You want to build a picture of disability that starts and is linked to your SC condition.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know if this will help, but I took your wife's statement and did a little revision. Maybe it's better, maybe not. You can decide or pick and choose pieces of it. I wish you well.

fanaticbooks

Here goes:

Statement in Support of Claim.

My husband is constantly in pain. Between chronic pain in his shoulder, lower back and legs, he is very limited in his actions. He is unable to:

1. Pick up and/or carry his daughter;

2. Do physical activities such as (describe chores—; i.e., dishes, laundry, vacuum, work on car, mow lawn, whatever -- give details);

His movement is limited. He cannot (raise arms?, climb stairs?, bend over?, whatever is affecting movement/mobility/etc. could be mentioned specifically. Give details!)

This pain also translates into lack of sleep.

I find that:

1. When he comes home from work he needs to lay down to rest.

2. When in bed for the night—

- Wakes up frequently

- Tosses/turns throughout night

- Can't lay on right side because of shoulder pain

- Complains his legs are tingling and burning

His weight is also affected by this pain. Because he no longer can do physical activities, he has gained about 40 pounds.

(Here is new that should be investigated---- check out his medicines for side effects of weight gain, insomnia, etc. from which he suffers. If any of his medications mention them, be sure to note here. Use medlineplus for resource if necessary.)

His medication(s) are not helping. Since (give name of medication) causes weight?insomnia? whatever, he is unable to lose weight/sleep?.

We don't have much of a social life together because he is usually too tired. Where he used to play softball, that is no longer possible. Interaction with our daughter and myself are limited by his need for rest.

His work is also suffering. He has told me that he makes mistakes as an Accountant that would otherwise not have happened. Not being rested is creating stress for him at work.

His inability physically as well as socially leaves him depressed and angry. He has said "I'm a 26 year old living in a 70 year old body." Trying to cope is very stressful, both for me and for him.

It is hard to know what to do to make our life better. We seem to always run up against a brick wall---his pain!

Edited by fanaticbooks

Thank you both for your fantastic Ideals...

John- On the meds, would I put that in my current increase or would I make a new claim? Also, if I put that on their will they take me off of them? I know I would be screwed without them and not be able to get out of bed most days due to the pain.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just another thought....

take a look at my website. It might help you figure out some of your questions.

www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com

I thank you for your service and protecting me and mine.

fanaticbooks

John-you are SO RIGHT!

"What kind of pain meds do you take? This can be basis of increased disablility if the meds affect your ability to think. You want to hook up psychological and physical issues. Vets don't do this enough, but you need medical opinions for this."

The intended medical affects of meds as well as their side effects should always be mentioned in claims like this and can be used by an IMO doctor as more more factor in their opinion.

"Also, is there anyway that she can reword anything to mean more or look better for my case?"

T, I agree with all that Carlie said.

I have made many lay statements to VA over the years regarding my husband's claim and then mine

but I backed it all up with documented medical evidence from the clinical record.

In the late 1990s we claimants never considered IMOs much and I won a wrongful death claim with my lay medical statements, backed up by the clinical record without an IMO.

But these days are different. I obtained 3 IMos for my last claim because the VA,even though my lay med stuff was accepted in the 1990s and agreed to by a VACO cardio doc and a VACO Peer Review doctor ,

VA decided years later I was not a worthy lay person providing documented medical evidence.

An IMO can be costly but is a good investment.

If the medical evidence warrants the higher rating, the IMO will reflect how it does that.

John is right: "Depression due to chronic pain and disability. You need a psychiatrist to say it and make the link to your shoulder pain and disability"

The IMO criteria is in our IMO form here.

It seems that VA will consider spouse statements for claims for Aid and Attendance and other types of SMC sometimes.

But this is because the spouse -if the vet is at SMC level-is often the immediate caretaker and in that respect their statements can help to support higher level SMC claims (sometimes)

"His work is also suffering. He has told me that he makes mistakes as an Accountant that would otherwise not have happened. Not being rested is creating stress for him at work."

It is time to start to document any work problems, in my opinion, if down the road you become unable to work solely due to your SC conditions.

A diary of any time you needed to take off , copies of annual performance appraisals ,and documentation of any accomodations you requested from employer could help if you ever need to consider work is not feasible for you.

The IMO doctor needs to consider your position as an accountant requires concentration that your meds might be hindering as well as the disability itself.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

You know in the 70's, 80's and 90's I did not really consider IMO's because was doing OK and I thought the VA's word at C&P exams was law. I was so dumb. I lost thousands of bucks. I got more interested when I got a pretty good exam from a VA doctor and was raised to 30% after 20 years at 10% which was absurd. They always ask "Are you working?" if you said "Yes" then there could not be much wrong with you according to the VA. All they wanted to know from me was "Are you hearing voices? Have you tried to kill yourself or anyone else and do you work."