Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused And Upset... Ptsd Storm On The Horizon

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I mentioned here before (I think) that I've been having trouble with IBS symptoms for some time. Finally got to see a new PCP (a real doctor!!) about it two weeks ago. (only 5 months after asking for help with the problem, but that's a whole 'nother rant). She said she wanted an endoscopy & a colonoscopy done. I told her that going 150+ miles round trip to the VERY busy VAMC was not something I could handle; it was hard enough to come into the small-town local clinic.

She understood and said she would request a local doc do the tests.

Yesterday I got a letter from the VAMC telling me to call for a new appointment at the Gastroenterology clinic... at the VAMC. I called my little VA clinic and asked what's this mean? The NP I talked to checked with my PCP doc & my notes. Yep, Doc requested I be seen locally. The NP called the VAMC for me to ask what the deal was.... She called me back to tell me that the VAMC told her that since they can provide the service, I have to go there.

I'm so freaked out about this, I can't even begin to express it. The last time I went to the VAMC, I had a major panic attack, and the provider I was seeing had to ask the on-call psychiatrist to come in to talk to me. Thank God my husband was with me, or I'm afraid they would have admitted me.

Now I'm supposed to go down there an let them do extremely invasive tests??? The thought of going to someone locally doesn't thrill me, but at least I know I'll be able to get back to my bunker quickly.....I don't know what to do.

I'm so angry. And scared. And sick to my stomach. "We understand PTSD!" "We care about our PTSD Vets!!"

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Appeal the decision ask for an Administrative Hearing with a VA Doctor on the panel is your best bet in my opinion.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Hello everyone

I am new to the sight , I have been Reading here for a few months. I feel compelled to reply here due to the topics discussed. I was diagnosed with PTSD )% after Desert Storm. And had a number of other problems as well. One being IBS, I have suffered since 1991 with the issues and until I recieved info that IBS was now presumptive I did not bother with the VA. I filed for sewrvice connection for IBS last Aug. This brings me to the nuts and bolts of my post. Do not allow the IBS to remain untreated as I did. I developed Diverticulosis in 2008, and had many bouts with Diverticulitis until last Sept when I had to have almost two feet of my colon removed. I do not know if this could have been prevented but I did file the condition secondary to IBS. Also in Jan the docs figured out I had a non functioning gall bladder as well and another operation. Now I sit waiting on the VA process for my claim.

I am unable to work Due to the IBS and PTSD with severe depression and anxiety. All I can say is do not take IBS lightly it developes into worse conditions as time passes. Continious pain now yearly colonscopy now. 65 pound weight loss after surgery. Not trying to scare anyone just information to not be bullheaded like I was.

One being IBS, I have suffered since 1991 with the issues and until I recieved info that IBS was now presumptive I did not bother with the VA.

stormvet,

Welcome to Hadit.com

I have no idea where you got information stating anything at all regarding IBS is now

a presumptive condition - BUT IT IS NOT A PRESUMPTIVE CONDITION for VA compensation.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Stormvet, thanks for your post. I had no idea IBS could develop into other problems. The 3 different VA PCP's I've seen in the past year have all been more or less sympathetic but not very interested. It's only this last one who has actually wanted to do something about it.

I'm just not prepared to travel to the city, have to stay overnight there, etc. and ... forget it. Getting palpitations and short breathing just thinking about it.

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• In Memoriam

I had conlonoscopy as was scheduled to go outside the VA. This was when the news about all the dirty equipment came out, and the VA wanted to schedule outside.

I drank the gallon of muck juice for the day of the appointment. Went in to have it done and found out that it was not that day and that this was only the prior explaination of what was going on.

Well, I drank the gallon of muck juice again for the actual appointment. I went in and was asked if I wanted to be knocked out or really knocked out. I took really knocked out.

There were three females preping me. They stuck in the IV, waited a while, then told me see you in the recovery room. I said CYA. When I first woke up I remember asking when they were going to start.

Next thing you know a very special lady was trying to wake me up. The doctor came up smiling, first time I had seen him. He said that he removed eight pre-cancerous polups. He also said that I did not have any cancer and that I did have some diverticulitous. They go ahead and take the polups out. Then he was gone just like that.

The toughest part of the whole thing, in retrospect, was drinking that muck juice, in prep for the next day. If you can, get the flavored stuff cause the first batch of muck, that I got, was flat and salty tasting. If you get the flat chalky stuff, T-bird, JBasser knows a way to flavor the taste, I just forgot what it was. Get your travel pay.

Edited by Stretch

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity