Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Half Way?

Rate this question

dittybopper

Question

Hello all,

My case finally hit the rating board on 3 March 2011. The claim is for mental issues secondary to chronic pain from my compensated military injury. I had my C and P and she expressed in her report a 30% disability on severe depression and anxiety. She took the words right out of the rating manual. I was talking to a VA rep who stated well in January your file was before the rating board but was pulled down due to a secondary claim on pain. In other words they had to see if the pain is worse and then rate it also. In any case I call the VA rep today and she says "the usual it is before the rating board" However then she stated it is about half way through. Now to my knowledge their tracking isn't that good what the heck does half way through mean.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hello all,

My case finally hit the rating board on 3 March 2011. The claim is for mental issues secondary to chronic pain from my compensated military injury. I had my C and P and she expressed in her report a 30% disability on severe depression and anxiety. She took the words right out of the rating manual. I was talking to a VA rep who stated well in January your file was before the rating board but was pulled down due to a secondary claim on pain. In other words they had to see if the pain is worse and then rate it also. In any case I call the VA rep today and she says "the usual it is before the rating board" However then she stated it is about half way through. Now to my knowledge their tracking isn't that good what the heck does half way through mean.

Half way through.... 1) claim development 2) rating board/decision stage 3) notification... you are at #2, half way through!

Half way through.... 1) claim development 2) rating board/decision stage 3) notification... you are at #2, half way through!

There are lot of claims stuck at the rating board. I was told it could be about a year for mine which hit the rating board in November. Hang in there-it may be a long haul :mellow:

• HadIt.com Elder

Just so you know, I believe there is no rating board, these days. Years ago, the rating board consisted of three people - a medical doctor, a rater and an administrative type, who decided the claims. I believe, nowadays, the rating board is a single person, the rater. It became a cost saving way to deal w/claims. Maybe one of our VA persons, who post here, can explain it better.

pr

Just so you know, I believe there is no rating board, these days. Years ago, the rating board consisted of three people - a medical doctor, a rater and an administrative type, who decided the claims. I believe, nowadays, the rating board is a single person, the rater. It became a cost saving way to deal w/claims. Maybe one of our VA persons, who post here, can explain it better.

pr

Ditto on the rating board issue - there is no longer a "rating board".

And if one rating person takes his vacation, or gets sick-another long delay

Yes, I agree that getting rid of the rating board lowered decision quality. There use to have to be a MD on the rating board, who advised on medical issues.

In my social security decision there was a "board"...a judge, a stenographer who took notes, and a md (or two) adviser on a telephone conference call with the judge and me at the hearing. It was much more fair and thorough. That way, one decision maker does not have to much power.