VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Favorable?

Rate this question

silke

Question

Thanks for all yur help....

My husband was diagnosed by the air force with adjustment disorder with depressed mood and avoidant personality traits in 1993 after a sudden character change ( got arrested twice, art 15, violent behavior, problems at work)...He got out on a voluntary separation, honorably.

with 6 months of separation he became schizophrenic, he refused treatment and denied any problem...lack of insight and judgement is a typical symptom of schizophrenia, and with the mental health laws in place, he could not be forced into treatment or meds.

In 2006 i was able to stage a intervention and get him into treatment and on meds at a county clinic...in 2007 he started going to the va clinic and the doctor there diagnosed him with p.schizophrenia, he suggested we apply for ssd and va comp.

He got ssd within six months and last year we applied for va comp......we had a c&p exam last week...i went with him (his gaf is 35 and needs help to communicate)..pretty easy exam and at the end the doctor said she believes that his condition began in the service....essentially the adjustment do eventually became schizophrenia.

How much weight does the doctors opinion at the c&p exam hold for a favorable outcome???

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How old was your husband it sounds like a classic misdiagnosis and we have seen it here before. With the proper medical opinion your husband sould win his claim.

Thank you for sticking with your Veteran.

• HadIt.com Elder

If he had filed for schizophrenia within a year of discharge he would probably have been granted 100% in 1993. Did he file any claims for a mental condition within a year of discharge? The fact the military discharged him with no medical discharge does not surprise me. They probably suspected schizophrenia, but were trying to save money. I was discharged way back in 1971 for a personality disorder but I filed with the VA within one year of discharge for depression and schizhophrenia. This was because I was in treatment and was hospitalized. Even so I was low balled and have this decision on appeal right now via the concept of CUE. What happened to your husband happened to thousands of veterans. I think that after your husband is rated I would find a lawyer and see if their is any hope of getting some of that retro pay. Do you have a complete copy of this service medical records and the rest of his personnel file? It is a long shot but worth a look.

Thank you all so very much for your replys

My husband was 23 when the AF diagnosed with adjustment d.o. w/depressed mood.....I got his medical records, which took nine months, his diagnosis was in there, but the rest of his mental health records were not included...he saw a couple of psychiatrists and had many visits with a social worker.

The C&P examiner, who is a doctor of psychology, said it was her medical opinion that schizophrenia was incurred in military service...so we r hoping that the VA will side with her......if they dont, could we still get comp for the adjustment disorder????

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get denied I would file a notice of disagreement and hire a lawyer. There is a lot at stake here. Your problem is that 18 years have passed since discharge. Since the C&P doctor opines that the schizophrenia is service connected I think you have a shot, but it is a rating officer that makes the decision not the doctor. I would not take NO for an answer on this.

hello all,,,,,yes, John999, I agree with you.....my husband had 6 months left in service when he was given the adjustment disorder w/depressed mood w/avoidant personality traits. He was either misdiagnosed or it was a political diagnosis. If they could have caught this earlier, much more could have been done and his life might have been different. So, this isnt just about money.

I went to the state veterans office last Tuesday, got signed up with a vso and he's getting us a copy of the c&p exam report. I will post it here when I get it..should be in a week or so.

Last thursday, a week after the c&p, I received a call from the VA and they told me his claim is going to the rating department for a decision and it would take a few weeks. So i guess no more C&P's.....seems like its moving quick now.....dont know if thats good or bad....from the research ive done on here, thats unusual!!...any input on that?

Thanks to all

• HadIt.com Elder

That sounds good. I wonder what the effective date will be for the award? If I know the VA it will be the date you filed the claim for schizophrenia and all the years since 1993 will just be blank. After you get the award you can look into some way to get an EED if it is possible. The VA and military do not admit mistakes without taking a sledge hammer to them.