VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filling For Iu Before Disability Compensation Application Gets Approved?

Rate this question

tdunford

Question

I just filed for disability compensation about 2 weeks ago. I have learned a lot since that time and should have done the research ahead of time. I have many questions and my first is:

1. Can I file for IU if I haven't been given a rating yet but have been unable to work for over 4 years with a private doctors diagnosis of chronic daily headaches, bipolar and chronic fatigue?

2. If I do have to wait to file for IU, how long will it take, average, to get a disability rating from my recent submission of the disability compensation application?

3. I was medically and honorably discharge 15 years ago and have had the same problems but not much worse and also believe that I have chronic fatigue syndrome and irritable bowel syndrome but non of which were diagnosed by my private doctor of the last 4 years. However, what is on record is the daily chronic headaches with an unexplained origin, skin problems (cysts), chronic fatigue, GERD, and countless other things. I just file for disability compensation and only listed bipolar and chronic headaches as the reason for filing. Can I add on all the other symptoms? I originally just assumed that they would see all the many diagnosis from my private medical records.

4. There is also proof that I have been unable to work, with doctors noting so on my medical records and have been on a pain management plan for over 4 years now. Because of all this evidence, should it be easy for me to get 100% disability without having to go through appeals and with a decision made pretty fast? That is what I am hoping for because I really need the compensation.

5. Because I was told that I would not be eligible for VA benefits upon my discharge, am I now eligible for any benefit because they didn't inform me and I had to go through so much suffering because of it like no medical insurance the first 10 years after discharge, thus with no medication for my many service connected disabilities?

6. Because I have so many diagnosed illnesses, could I get a rating for lets say bipolar, CFS, IBS, GERD, chronic headaches, all of which have been diagnosed by a private doctor within the last 4 years and I have the medical records to prove it? If so, do they add up the percentages so if I have 50% for IBS and 50% for GERD will I get a 100% compensation per month?

Thank you for your help.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

1. Can I file for IU if I haven't been given a rating yet but have been unable to work for over 4 years with a private doctors diagnosis of chronic daily headaches, bipolar and chronic fatigue?

A claim can be filed for any benefit at any time - that's up to the claimant. Of course this does not mean it will be granted.

2. If I do have to wait to file for IU, how long will it take, average, to get a disability rating from my recent submission of the disability compensation application?

My guess is that you will receive your first rating decision within 12 - 24 months.

3. I was medically and honorably discharge 15 years ago and have had the same problems but not much worse and also believe that I have chronic fatigue syndrome and irritable bowel syndrome but non of which were diagnosed by my private doctor of the last 4 years. However, what is on record is the daily chronic headaches with an unexplained origin, skin problems (cysts), chronic fatigue, GERD, and countless other things. I just file for disability compensation and only listed bipolar and chronic headaches as the reason for filing. Can I add on all the other symptoms? I originally just assumed that they would see all the many diagnosis from my private medical records.

Yes, you can add your other "symptoms". IF I were to do so - I would submit it on a 21-4138 form.

In many instances, even tho conditions / diagnosis (issues) are shown in medical records, that does not necessarily (at all)

mean or equate to the veteran having a desire for SC or compensation of that issue.

If you have an issue you want VBA to consider for SC - file a claim for it.

There is also proof that I have been unable to work, with doctors noting so on my medical records and have been on a pain management plan for over 4 years now. Because of all this evidence, should it be easy for me to get 100% disability without having to go through appeals and with a decision made pretty fast? That is what I am hoping for because I really need the compensation.

That is what every claimant hopes for.

Your reasons for being unable to work have to be specifically and directly related to your service connected disability's.

Many years have gone by and this will be a difficult challenge for you.

5. Because I was told that I would not be eligible for VA benefits upon my discharge, am I now eligible for any benefit because they didn't inform me and I had to go through so much suffering because of it like no medical insurance the first 10 years after discharge, thus with no medication for my many service connected disabilities?

What you "was told" is not in writing, so it never happened.

You might be eligible for some medical care.

6. Because I have so many diagnosed illnesses, could I get a rating for lets say bipolar, CFS, IBS, GERD, chronic headaches, all of which have been diagnosed by a private doctor within the last 4 years and I have the medical records to prove it? If so, do they add up the percentages so if I have 50% for IBS and 50% for GERD will I get a 100% compensation per month?

NO - your example of 50% + 50% will not add up (combine) to 100% for compensation purposes.