VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Eligible For Gwi?

Rate this question

Yancy

Question

I've been diagnosed and rated for IBS at 30%. I've been diagnosed with GERD which has caused severe inflammation of my esophagus, stomach, duodenum and some in my colon. I've recently been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, and sleep apnea for which I now wear a CPAP. I haven't been able to work due to the fatigue, anxiety and IBS. Is it possible that I can claim these other conditions (other than IBS) as due to my service in Desert Storm? I've actually been ICD9'd as having service in the Persian Gulf. But I show none of these conditions in my SMR's. I would greatly appreciate a response! All of the VSO's, to include their supervisor, aren't well scripted in Gulf War Sydnrome here which has me pretty frustrated.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses: IllnessesAssociated with Gulf War Service

VA has recognized that certain health problems for Gulf War Veterans are associated with Gulf War service or military service. These Veterans may be eligible for disability compensation and health care for these illnesses. Surviving spouses, children and dependent parents of Gulf War Veterans who died as the result of illnesses associated with Gulf War service may be eligible for survivors' benefits.

For the purposes of these benefits, Gulf War Veterans are Veterans who served on active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of operations any time during the first Gulf War starting August 2, 1990 through the current conflict in Iraq. This includes Veterans who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003-2010) and Operation New Dawn (2010 and continuing).

Illnesses that are associated with Gulf War service include:

• Medically Unexplained Chronic Multi-symptom Illnesses
  • Infectious Diseases
  • Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
  • Continuing Research on Health Effects of Gulf War Service Medically Unexplained Chronic Multi-symptom Illnesses

Gulf War Veterans have reported a variety of medically unexplained symptoms, such as fatigue, headache, joint pains, sleep disturbances and memory problems since serving in the Gulf. VA presumes certain medically unexplained symptoms existing for six months or more are associated with military service in the Gulf. The illnesses must have appeared during active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of operations or by December 31, 2011, and be at least 10 percent disabling.

Illnesses include medically unexplained multi-symptom illnesses that have existed for six months or more, such as:

• Chronic fatigue syndrome (learn more about symptoms)
    • Fibromyalgia
    • Irritable bowel syndrome
    • Undiagnosed illnesses with symptoms that may include but are not limited to: abnormal weight loss, cardiovascular symptoms, fatigues, gastrointestinal symptoms, headache, joint pain, menstrual disorders, muscle pain, neurologic symptoms, neuropsychological symptoms, skin conditions, upper and lower respiratory system symptoms, and sleep disturbances

VA is revising the regulation for medically unexplained chronic multi-symptom illnesses to specify that functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGIDs) are covered in the presumption. Recent research has identified FGIDs, including irritable bowel syndrome and functional dyspepsia, as prevalent illnesses among Gulf War Veterans. Eligible Veterans may receive health care and disability compensation for these disorders when the proposed regulation* is final.

Infectious Diseases

VA recognizes the following infectious diseases as related to military service in Southwest Asia during the first Gulf War starting August 2, 1990, through the conflict in Iraq and on or after September 19, 2001, in Afghanistan:

• Brucellosis
  • Campylobacter jejuni
  • Coxiella burnetii (Q fever)
  • Malaria
  • Mycobacterium tuberculosis
  • Nontyphoid Salmonella
  • Shigella
  • Visceral leishmaniasis
  • West Nile virus
    Veterans must have the diseases within a certain time after service and have a current disability as a result of that disease in order to receive health care and disability compensation for the diseases.

Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses: IllnessesAssociated with Gulf War Service

VA has recognized that certain health problems for Gulf War Veterans are associated with Gulf War service or military service. These Veterans may be eligible for disability compensation and health care for these illnesses. Surviving spouses, children and dependent parents of Gulf War Veterans who died as the result of illnesses associated with Gulf War service may be eligible for survivors' benefits.

For the purposes of these benefits, Gulf War Veterans are Veterans who served on active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of operations any time during the first Gulf War starting August 2, 1990 through the current conflict in Iraq. This includes Veterans who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003-2010) and Operation New Dawn (2010 and continuing).

Illnesses that are associated with Gulf War service include:

• Medically Unexplained Chronic Multi-symptom Illnesses
  • Infectious Diseases
  • Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
  • Continuing Research on Health Effects of Gulf War Service Medically Unexplained Chronic Multi-symptom Illnesses

Gulf War Veterans have reported a variety of medically unexplained symptoms, such as fatigue, headache, joint pains, sleep disturbances and memory problems since serving in the Gulf. VA presumes certain medically unexplained symptoms existing for six months or more are associated with military service in the Gulf. The illnesses must have appeared during active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of operations or by December 31, 2011, and be at least 10 percent disabling.

Illnesses include medically unexplained multi-symptom illnesses that have existed for six months or more, such as:

• Chronic fatigue syndrome (learn more about symptoms)
    • Fibromyalgia
    • Irritable bowel syndrome
    • Undiagnosed illnesses with symptoms that may include but are not limited to: abnormal weight loss, cardiovascular symptoms, fatigues, gastrointestinal symptoms, headache, joint pain, menstrual disorders, muscle pain, neurologic symptoms, neuropsychological symptoms, skin conditions, upper and lower respiratory system symptoms, and sleep disturbances

VA is revising the regulation for medically unexplained chronic multi-symptom illnesses to specify that functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGIDs) are covered in the presumption. Recent research has identified FGIDs, including irritable bowel syndrome and functional dyspepsia, as prevalent illnesses among Gulf War Veterans. Eligible Veterans may receive health care and disability compensation for these disorders when the proposed regulation* is final.

Infectious Diseases

VA recognizes the following infectious diseases as related to military service in Southwest Asia during the first Gulf War starting August 2, 1990, through the conflict in Iraq and on or after September 19, 2001, in Afghanistan:

[*]Brucellosis[*]Campylobacter jejuni[*]Coxiella burnetii (Q fever)[*]Malaria[*]Mycobacterium tuberculosis[*]Nontyphoid Salmonella[*]Shigella[*]Visceral leishmaniasis[*]West Nile virus

Veterans must have the diseases within a certain time after service and have a current disability as a result of that disease in order to receive health care and disability compensation for the diseases.

So with all my conditions being diagnosed, even though they could fit into the categories, I won't be able to claim them?

For any condition to be awarded service connection,you would need:

1. A diagnosed condition while in service or symptoms of a condition while in service.

2. A current diagnosed condition

3. A nexus (a medical opinion) that the diagnosed condition/symptoms while in service are related or were the onset of the current condition.

If you can get a medical opinion that your conditions are related to your military service or are aggravated by your service connected disability, then they can be awarded service connected.

Edited by pete992

Yancy,

I wanted to chime in here, I was diagnosed with Severe Depression, Anxiety, Sleep Apnea, and a number of other ailments. I recently retired in Oct 2010 and I visited a Psychiatrist 3 months before retiring, my illness went undiagnosed for over 3-4 years that is including the sleep apnea, depression and anxiety. I went to my C & P exam and I was honest with the Doctors, I take everything from Lunesta sleeping pills to Zoloft for my depresson. I guess what I am trying to say is, claim what ever you feel is wrong with you and worry about the service connection later. I bet somewhere in you medical records you went to sick call for a particular illness and that illness probably went untreated for a number of years and that probably caused you to have more problems. Stick with this site and ask every question you may have, I had no clue about theVA until I came across this website. I can honestly say, because of this website and with the help of putting my ear to ground and listennnig to folks talk is what got me 100% my first time around. The most important thing is to take care of yourself, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE continue to get the help you need.

vet2010