• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

http://www.medicinen...nea/article.htm

Sleep Apnea At A Glance

• Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep.

• The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea, obstructive apnea, and a mixture of central and obstructive apnea.

• Central sleep apnea is caused by a failure of the brain to activate the muscles of breathing during sleep.

• Obstructive sleep apnea is caused by the collapse of the airway during sleep.

• The complications of obstructive sleep apnea include high blood pressure, strokes, heart disease, automobile accidents, and daytime sleepiness as well as difficulty concentrating, thinking and remembering.

• Obstructive sleep apnea is diagnosed and evaluated by history, physical examination and polysomnography.

• The non-surgical treatments for obstructive sleep apnea include behavior therapy, medications, dental appliances, continuous positive airway pressure, bi-level positive airway pressure, and auto-titrating continuous positive airway pressure.

• The surgical treatments for obstructive sleep apnea include nasal surgery, palate implants, uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, tongue reduction surgery, genioglossus advancement, maxillo-mandibular advancement, tracheostomy, and bariatric surgery.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

http://www.medicinen...nea/article.htm

Sleep Apnea At A Glance

• Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep.

• The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea, obstructive apnea, and a mixture of central and obstructive apnea.

• Central sleep apnea is caused by a failure of the brain to activate the muscles of breathing during sleep.

• Obstructive sleep apnea is caused by the collapse of the airway during sleep.

• The complications of obstructive sleep apnea include high blood pressure, strokes, heart disease, automobile accidents, and daytime sleepiness as well as difficulty concentrating, thinking and remembering.

• Obstructive sleep apnea is diagnosed and evaluated by history, physical examination and polysomnography.

• The non-surgical treatments for obstructive sleep apnea include behavior therapy, medications, dental appliances, continuous positive airway pressure, bi-level positive airway pressure, and auto-titrating continuous positive airway pressure.

• The surgical treatments for obstructive sleep apnea include nasal surgery, palate implants, uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, tongue reduction surgery, genioglossus advancement, maxillo-mandibular advancement, tracheostomy, and bariatric surgery.

<LI>The surgical treatments for obstructive sleep apnea include nasal surgery, palate implants, uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, tongue reduction surgery, genioglossus advancement, maxillo-mandibular advancement, tracheostomy, and bariatric surgery.

This is what they wanted to do to me some years back. After, I saw a Hemotogist about my Herditary Angioedema, he suggested that I do not have the surgery. The good old CPAP is working great. It was going to be a painful surgery, and less than a 50% surviors rate. I think I made the right decision. The issue that I have is that when I was in the military, the doctors had no clue what this was. Told a doctor once that I was snoring and falling asleep during daytime. Response: Sleep on your side, and stop partying all night :wacko:

Papa