VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva Eligibility

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

THANK YOU SO MUCH for making the SVR shows available in the archives! I had no idea there was so much information available there!

I was just listening to the one on CHAMPVA and I was surprised to hear that the Veteran does NOT have to be 100% P&T, they only have to be P&T for a SC rated disability, no matter how low the rating is.

This got me thinking.... my husband is SC at 80% for injury to his shoulder and extensive scarring from an in-service MVA. I dug out the sheet that lists his disability codes & percentages and while I don't see the words permanent & total, I do see that he has No Future Exams Scheduled, and each of his disabilities is notated as Static.

Is no future exams and Static the same as P & T??

Could there be a chance that I could possibly, remotely, in any version of the multiverse, be eligible for CHAMPVA?

My heart is pounding!

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

hedgey - I believe that if your husband became TDIU, w/P&T, you'd be eligible for ChampVA.

pr

Nope, Berta, it was really my mistake! I heard the less than 100% and didn't make the connection to TDIU. I called the CHAMPVA representative and he explained it to me.

It applies to vets with say 80% scheduler, but 100% P&T through TDIU. (Like me, so my husband does get CHAMPVA)

So I think I got so excited I didn't listen carefully enough.

The cool thing, and I don't remember this being in the broadcast, is that the CHAMPVA rep told me to gather up all of my husband's medical copay receipts going back to my TDIU Award date and send them in, and CHAMPVA will reimburse us.

Even cooler? My daughter turned 23 a few months ago, so for most of the retro period, she would have been eligible for CHAMPVA, even though I received my Award Letter after her birthday. So first I'm sending them the application to establish her as a beneficiary (she was a full-time student). Once that's done, I'll send in all the receipts for her co-pays. (they also need copies of our health insurance corresponding EOB's).

It'll be a lot of digging for paperwork, but if it works the way it should, it'll be about a $1200 reimbursement from CHAMPVA.

I'm still disappointed that I can't get it for myself, but this is definitely a great program for my hubby.

Again, thanks for the SVR programs!!! And thanks, Berta, for clarifying everything for me. You're the best!

• HadIt.com Elder

Listen to the show. The guest is a regular guest named Glen Johnson. Glen is ChampVA. He also oversees the foreign medical program.

I questioned this on the show and he did reiterate that a veteran has to have a disability rated as total. It does not meman 100 percent. As long as a veteran has a disability rated as total then they are eligible.

The way it was clarified was this. A Veteran has an amputated leg and is 60 percent. the disability is total as the leg is not going to grow back unless Lizard science is perfected in Human form.

I firmly believe if you have a disability listed as Static and no future exams, you are total and the disability as permenent.

If there is any disagreements, Feel free to contact Champ VA or wait until Glenn Comes on the show again.

In essence, Glen has been a friend to SVR for a coupel of years and has always respected the show and its supporting staff at Hadit.

It is in Hadit's best interest to keep it that way.

JBasser.

• HadIt.com Elder

Nope, Berta, it was really my mistake! I heard the less than 100% and didn't make the connection to TDIU. I called the CHAMPVA representative and he explained it to me.

It applies to vets with say 80% scheduler, but 100% P&T through TDIU. (Like me, so my husband does get CHAMPVA)

So I think I got so excited I didn't listen carefully enough.

The cool thing, and I don't remember this being in the broadcast, is that the CHAMPVA rep told me to gather up all of my husband's medical copay receipts going back to my TDIU Award date and send them in, and CHAMPVA will reimburse us.

Even cooler? My daughter turned 23 a few months ago, so for most of the retro period, she would have been eligible for CHAMPVA, even though I received my Award Letter after her birthday. So first I'm sending them the application to establish her as a beneficiary (she was a full-time student). Once that's done, I'll send in all the receipts for her co-pays. (they also need copies of our health insurance corresponding EOB's).

It'll be a lot of digging for paperwork, but if it works the way it should, it'll be about a $1200 reimbursement from CHAMPVA.

I'm still disappointed that I can't get it for myself, but this is definitely a great program for my hubby.

Again, thanks for the SVR programs!!! And thanks, Berta, for clarifying everything for me. You're the best!

Hedgey, you do not have to be TDIU. Just Permanent and total. There are disabilities less than 100 percent tat are considered P and T. The VA uses terms like Static and No future exams as Keywords to these conditions which you have listed.

Glenn Johnson was correct so the show was not wrong and you heard it right.

J

Oh, John, now I'm confused.

I thought I was understanding Glenn correctly when I listened to the show. The lizard example was what got me thinking my husband might be able to get CHAMPVA. His injuries are a shoulder held together with a pin (no ball & socket) and 2nd & 3rd degree burns. All are static and unless the VA wants to rebuild his shoulder and somehow replace the skin on 40+ % of his body, there will be no lizard regrowth. PLUS, his ratings are more than 20 years old, so that would make them "permanent" in that sense, too. His combined rating right now is 80%.

When I called the number Glenn gave on the show, the Representative told me that my husband could be less than 100%, but would have to be P&T TDIU'd up to 100% to be able to get CHAMPVA. So unless my husband can get rated at 100% P&T through either increases or new ratings; or through getting TDIU, no CHAMPVA.

So I'm not disagreeing with what Glenn said at all, I'm just trying to get this straight in my muddled, addled brain.

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh, John, now I'm confused.

I thought I was understanding Glenn correctly when I listened to the show. The lizard example was what got me thinking my husband might be able to get CHAMPVA. His injuries are a shoulder held together with a pin (no ball & socket) and 2nd & 3rd degree burns. All are static and unless the VA wants to rebuild his shoulder and somehow replace the skin on 40+ % of his body, there will be no lizard regrowth. PLUS, his ratings are more than 20 years old, so that would make them "permanent" in that sense, too. His combined rating right now is 80%.

When I called the number Glenn gave on the show, the Representative told me that my husband could be less than 100%, but would have to be P&T TDIU'd up to 100% to be able to get CHAMPVA. So unless my husband can get rated at 100% P&T through either increases or new ratings; or through getting TDIU, no CHAMPVA.

So I'm not disagreeing with what Glenn said at all, I'm just trying to get this straight in my muddled, addled brain.

The person at the CHAMP a is wrong. Glen Johnson is one of the top dogs at Champ VA. Send your champ application along with the award letter to champ VA. Then contact Glen and ask him for personal assistance.

J

To settle this, email glenn.johnson@VA.gov and ask him directly. Remember there are two Ns in Glenn's name.