VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Form 21-686C Question

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

Hey folks, am filling the form 21-686c Declaration of Dependents form....My question is WHAT IF YOU DON"T KNOW YOUR EX-WIFES Social Security number....I don't know it and do not know if she will provide the info if I can get in touch with her(divorced for over 16 years)......Can I just put UNKNOWN in the space provided......Also why do I have to provide info on my 18yo son who is in the Army and does not live with me..........Any help here will be appreciated....Thanks, Grid

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

They have to have it. Do you have any old paperwork laying around like Loan applications, Auto contracts. ect.

Call her, she may help.

J

Hello Grid, I know sometimes the paperwork is ridiculous and does not make sense but please remember the VA thrives on denials and any t's and i's not crossed and dotted is just opening the door for more time to your claim. I know its hard getting this stuff but the more you do now the lesser the chances of getting a letter saying......" thank you but we still need........ " VCAA was suppose to help the VETERAN but the VA found out they can use it to stall and most of us here have dealt with the stalling tactics. Even if we know the VA is asking for silly stuff try and do the stuff that they ask for . John has offered some very good advice to help you. Remember above all.....NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

grid

I went thru just about everything everyone here has said, and it was a nightmare! After getting all the info they asked for and sent in. At least I thought I did. A few months later they contacted me and said I needed to send them my wife's divorce papers from her ex. So I did, and waited a few more months to call them, and when I did they told me the claim was closed a month ago because they claimed they never recieved her divorce papers! Well thank God, I had the returned receipt with thier signiture, date and time they received it. They then reopened the claim, because all of a sudden the papers showed up! Go figure! I found my ex's ssn on some older health insurance form.

I guess when you're dealing with the VA, being a hoarder can be a good thing. I have papers from forever... only problem is finding the dang things when I need 'em.

I needed my divorce papers from my first marriage the other day. Shock of shocks, I found them right off, in the first place I looked! I was truly amazed by that. Now they've been sitting on my desk since then, and I just know if I don't put them away pretty soon, they're going to disappear into the paper swamp on my desk...

As you are learning you DO have to keep everything you get from the VA and copies of all you send to them, including certification/registered copies. Like you stated, they suddenly found the copies after you sent in some proof. Make sure you always keep these somewhere that you can find them. Yes, we do have to be VA paper horders, haha. Nice response offered here too. GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO GET #'S THE VA SOUGHT TOO.

Talking about certified/return reciepts, I started to get a good collection of them and at one point started to forget which reciept was which. That's when I started putting stickies and jotting down what they where for on them. Otherwise I would of been you know what! All I know is Hadit is a dream come true. Otherwise, I'll be sitting here with 0%. Thank You Thank You Thank You