VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medication Side Effects Secondary?

Rate this question

Draggin'

Question

So if one were taking a medication for a service connected disability...and this medication caused further problems or new symptoms...would this need to be considered as secondary?

Thanks

Draggin'

On 6/13/2019 at 5:54 PM, Holllie Greene said:

The cataracts are secondary service connected at 0%.  Now I can buy that Porsche (not) 

Mine were rated 30% but... the surgeon did damage to the eye, and I ended up with pigmentation glaucoma after the surgery.

20 hours ago, jrvet95 said:

I am just hearing about secondary service connection for side effect of medication can you letter me know

more about get letter from IMO Dr Anaise. Thank you.

Dr. Anaise is a transplant surgeon which means he knows about kidneys and medication toxicity. His IMO cost 1500 but worth it for that they prove how bad the VA is. 

IMO section link - https://community.hadit.com/forum/74-imo-independent-medical-opinion/

1 hour ago, Holllie Greene said:

Richard 1954,

That is awful, was the surgeon a VA or a VA-contracted surgeon or an outside surgeon? 

VA Resident Surgeon at the Audie Murphy  VA.. and If they had told me ahead of time that she was still learning I would never have had the surgery.....

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

More information regarding secondary claims:

I am secondary for GERD secondary to decades of NSAIDs.

Earlier this year, I filed a claim for Cushing's secondary to decades of steroid use (prednisone, solumedrol, betamethasone, and several steroids inhalers all to help with asthma). I got an IMO from a non-VA endocrinologist who confirmed it after performing tests.

I also filed for a heart attack secondary to use of migraine medications (sumatriptan). Shortly after taking it I wound up in the ER. This one is still ongoing. Don't have an IMO yet.

With medical evidence that the med for SC caused the additional disability ,at a ratable level, the VA would SC the level of disability it caused.

A good example is prescribed NSAIDs.

They are know to cause,in some cases, GERD.

While this affect of NSAIDS is well known in the standard medical community, I have seen these claims denied by the VA unless there was a medical statement in the record that supported the GERD as caused or aggravated by the VA prescribed NSAIDs.