VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medication Side Effects Secondary?

Rate this question

Draggin'

Question

So if one were taking a medication for a service connected disability...and this medication caused further problems or new symptoms...would this need to be considered as secondary?

Thanks

Draggin'

VAMC's are far ahead of non VA docs in this regard. You see, every time a Vet goes to the Doc, the Doc can see exactly what meds the Vet is on. This is important, because people do not always remember what pills they are taking when they ask. I think this system that each Vets medications are on the computer is better than the paper records most non Va docs use, because Dr. A does not know what meds Dr. B has prescribed otherwise.

Draggin, I think the answer to your question is "Yes"....but with difficulty. There is no doubt meds cause side effects, and many of them are unwanted, and this can lead to secondary service connection. But..expect the VA to fight it. What they are implying here is, "The VA prescribed your medicine to treat your SC condition...so, if the medication caused you problems, then you need to sue the drug maker"

Of course, the problem with that is the drug maker publishes side effects...and when the doc prescribes them for you anyway, I think the VA is taking responsibility for the drug. You see, when the VA KNOWs that a med has a side effect, and the doc prescibes it anyway, they are "accepting" responsibility. JMHO.

Expect a long fight to get secondary conditions service connected due to side effects of taking a drug prescribed for service connected conditions.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you take Lisonopril and have a chronic cough you need to tell your Doc at VA and have them prescribe a new med in my case Losartin.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

VAMC's are far ahead of non VA docs in this regard. You see, every time a Vet goes to the Doc, the Doc can see exactly what meds the Vet is on. This is important, because people do not always remember what pills they are taking when they ask. I think this system that each Vets medications are on the computer is better than the paper records most non Va docs use, because Dr. A does not know what meds Dr. B has prescribed otherwise.

We can only hope the VA doc will actually double-check the meds or allergy list. A while back, I was at the VA ER and my doc was the same one who saw me earlier that morning. The doc came in with a syringe loaded with a med that was on my allergy list. I stopped the doc, who checked the list, and came back with different meds and a sincere apology.