Success !

Rate this topic

VetsLady

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Back in December 2010, my husband received 100% and P&T with an EED of 5 years prior. With that came Chapter 35 for me and ChampVA. Imagine my SHOCK when I called ChampVA in January to find out what I needed to do to set up my benefits....and, they also told me I was eligible to receive ChampVA reimbursements back to the day my husband was award P&T --- which was 5 years prior (after an almost 8 year battle with the VA). My jaw dropped and my bottom lip fell to the floor .... I had no idea. I had insurance for that time frame but we also incurred alot of out of pocket expenses for medical a medical condition I had and a surgical procedure. I gathered up all of the RX claims from the pharmacy and submitted them about 6 weeks ago. Yesterday, numerous checks arrived ......... all for reimbursements of RX expenses. I haven't yet gathered all of the medical bills we paid, but have most of them together and will submit in smaller batches. ChampVA suggested that as the claims will be processed quicker.

I knew I would be eligible for ChampVA if we prevailed in his claim (and I had no doubt we would eventually, but there were several dark and dreary days and nights, and many times, many of you threw me a lifeline or ladder to climb out of that dark and dreary place) BUT, I had no idea we would be able to recoop all of the expenses we paid out of pocket on my behalf and back to the date he was awarded P&T.

Yes, Friday the 13th was a good day.

I married my hero more than 20 years ago ..... and I'm a proud, proud wife of a Vietnam Veteran who spent 22 months there.

Your burden has been somewhat lifted. The dark days you experienced are over. I celebrate your relief.

Congratulations, 'VetsLady'

Warm regards,

CB

Edited by Commander Bob

I hope I get this situation between my insurance and me the medical bills since I filed have been over 250,000 my part about 10k.

If you have any questions, you can post them, call ChampVa or pm me and I will help you out any way I can.

It's all about passing the information on .... to help one person, and then another. ChampVA has been awesome.

Wow I am glad you posted this tread I just received my wife champva acceptance card effective starting date 2 august 2011. I don't know why it is that long of a time to be activated, I got my notice of acceptance last week. Over 2 months seems like a long time to wait. So on 2 august when the card becomes active we have 180 days to file for back reimbursement to my EED of 2 august 2010 if I read your statement correctly and have 1 year to appeal any denials.

Why is the start date 8/2 ???? Your wife's eligibility is effective on the date you become 100% service connected.

Post or PM me if you have any questions....

Why is the start date 8/2 ???? Your wife's eligibility is effective on the date you become 100% service connected.

VetsLady, and Proud to Be

Well this is embarrassing. You are correct I just went back a checked her ID card and it say effective 2 August 2010. :blush: Guess I had better contact the VA and get an eye exam.:cool: This is good example of a great forum site and great people on it. This means I don't have to make the $ 550.00 July cobra payment for health insurance we kept when she lost her job. Thank we will go out for a nice dinner and "toast" one to VetLady. Thanks so much.

VetsLady, and Proud to Be

Well this is embarrassing. You are correct I just went back a checked her ID card and it say effective 2 August 2010. :blush: Guess I had better contact the VA and get an eye exam.:cool: This is good example of a great forum site and great people on it. This means I don't have to make the $ 550.00 July cobra payment for health insurance we kept when she lost her job. Thank we will go out for a nice dinner and "toast" one to VetLady. Thanks so much.

Very glad I could be of assistance Capt., Enjoy that meal !

ChampVA will reimburse you for any deductible, (after the ChampVA $50 deductible is met) and any out of pocket expense your wife incurred for medical (not dental) AFTER her other health insurance (aka: OHI) paid their share. So as an example, your wife went for a physical, the bill was $100, after the OHI processed the claim they paid $60 and you had to pay $40, ChampVA will reimburse you the $40. Without OHI, they will pay 75% of the allowable charge. ChampVA is not insurance, it's a benefit. A benefit you are entitled to, you earned it --- this benefit plus the education benefits I'm using since husband is 100% are the 2 things that brought my husband great joy as he felt security for my future. (I have an awesome hubby !)

ChampVA won't reimburse for premiums paid for OHI, but they pay everything else, even any deductible your wife may have incurred. It's really a super benefit.....when she becomes eligible for Medicare, then ChampVa will be secondary coverage for her.

I'm very happy I was able to put a light on the date issue......with all of the help and support that I have received from this web-site, it feels so good to help another.

Edited by VetsLady

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use