Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

23 Percent Of Va Claims Processed Incorrectly

Rate this question

jbasser

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I just bumped into this article. On behalf of our friends over at Military.com.

Link: http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2011/05/va-audit-23-percent-of-disability-claims-incorrectly-processed/#idc-cover

Basser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Your apart of the system "Change it".

I never could understand why people do jobs that detail helping people if the DON'T like helping people.I suggest some one design a self service computer program that matches your claim info with computerized medical info on file and then the computer does the ole More Likely than not thingy and either approves or deny the claim.

Bigred,

No need to shoot the messenger !

If you think the VBA worker bees have any better luck at changing the adjudication process

than us veterans do - they don't.

About the most the majority of them can do is follow the instructions given to them -

it's a back stabbing bunch - willing to do many things to climb the ladder.

Personally, I do not feel you have much of an understanding of "the ole More Likely than not thingy"

that comes from a doctor not a computer and to "either approves or deny the claim", will only come by way of a decision maker.

I would never want a computer program to solely adjudicate my claim issues.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

I don't agree I think the VA has a much larger error rate more like 80%

I would like to ask a question here. How many new claims did the VA taken in for service connection in all fifty states from the years 2000 to 2010. And -- of that class how many claims were denied and how many were approved?

I would like to see this information plotted out on graph paper to verify the data and to show Congress. This question has always been on my mind. I don't think you will ever see it.

The VA reminds me of that insurance company Great Benefit in the John Gresham movie the Rainmaker. The VA works well for the VA.

The only person I think that could possibly fix the VA mess, that i have read about in this century and have read reviews on is Professor Linda Bilmes from Harvard.

Such a shame she did not get nominated for VA secretary. But i know why. Thats quite evident. The VA wants a person that will keep the paperwork mess, debacule moving along.

Just some thoughts.

In my earlier post I was trying to make a point, but apparently I did not make it very well. I am not considered low income, and I do not qualify for medicare since I worked for the Federal Government under the old retirement system. The point that I was trying to make is why does the VA takes the position that Parkinson's is a progressive disease, but SSA does not. Under SSA if you meet a few criteria, you are considered totally disabled. I'm sure there are others, I just picked this one because it affects me personally.

On the 23 percent issue, we take our claims very personal, and I know from experience that I tend to believe that the Houston RO only has my claim to worry about. But, I know that most VA employee does not see a person behind a claim. They see a name, and numbers, and a lot of medical and other forms to read and review. If they make a mistake, we need to realize that it was not personal. They do not know us.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

PaPa

VA offers fractional benefits. Social Security offers all or nothing. For the Veterans who are rated and still able to work would get nothing if VA did same as social security.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Big Red

I think what you posted got "glanced over" and not looked at, and I think that will hurt some Vets. I am talking about what you called the "Millennium Program" You would be helping Vets starting a new post, and talking just about that, so we can find it. If I get what you are saying, the MP will pay a Vets private hospital bill, within some limits. THIS IS HUGE!!!

You see, I go to the VA because I dont have a choice, not because they are the best care. One time, when I had chest pains, my wife called the VA to let them know I was on the way. They responed they were full and "diverting patients". Well, what the heck am I to do? The VA told her to go to a private hosptital and VA would pay. So, I went to a good private hospital (my wife is familiar with the private hospitals as she is a cardiac nurse). Well, at the private hosptial, they diagnosed my sleep apnea in 24 hours, when I had been going to the VA for 8 years and they did not diagnose my OSA.

I got treatment for the OSA and it most certainly saved my life. The reason is that untreated sleep apnea basically destroys your heart over time. The heart does not get enough oxygen and the right side expands to accomodate it.. It makes the heart imbalanced and eventually beats irregurarly and ultimately leads to Congestive Heart Failure.

I think it was Reggie White who died of sleep apnea. Basically in one of those apnea events, that occurs with me 67 times per nite, the heart dies.

While I "got lucky" and went to the VA when it was full, I did not realize that Vets can get treatment outside of the VA with the MP. I thank you for this advice, and I will be looking into it much more. Basically, for the most part, the VA medical care is sub standard, IMHO. This heart incident brought that to my attention. The medical care I got at a good hospital was 50 times better than any I had ever gotten at the VA.

Big Red

I think what you posted got "glanced over" and not looked at, and I think that will hurt some Vets. I am talking about what you called the "Millennium Program" You would be helping Vets starting a new post, and talking just about that, so we can find it. If I get what you are saying, the MP will pay a Vets private hospital bill, within some limits. THIS IS HUGE!!!

You see, I go to the VA because I dont have a choice, not because they are the best care. One time, when I had chest pains, my wife called the VA to let them know I was on the way. They responed they were full and "diverting patients". Well, what the heck am I to do? The VA told her to go to a private hosptital and VA would pay. So, I went to a good private hospital (my wife is familiar with the private hospitals as she is a cardiac nurse). Well, at the private hosptial, they diagnosed my sleep apnea in 24 hours, when I had been going to the VA for 8 years and they did not diagnose my OSA.

I got treatment for the OSA and it most certainly saved my life. The reason is that untreated sleep apnea basically destroys your heart over time. The heart does not get enough oxygen and the right side expands to accomodate it.. It makes the heart imbalanced and eventually beats irregurarly and ultimately leads to Congestive Heart Failure.

I think it was Reggie White who died of sleep apnea. Basically in one of those apnea events, that occurs with me 67 times per nite, the heart dies.

While I "got lucky" and went to the VA when it was full, I did not realize that Vets can get treatment outside of the VA with the MP. I thank you for this advice, and I will be looking into it much more. Basically, for the most part, the VA medical care is sub standard, IMHO. This heart incident brought that to my attention. The medical care I got at a good hospital was 50 times better than any I had ever gotten at the VA.

It was called the Millenium Program because it was one of the last things President Clinton did before the year 2000. It is not widely known because the VA doesn't want everyone using it.The first two times I used it I was over a 100 miles to the nearest VAMC, while local hospital was 2 miles away. Third time it saved my life. VAMC 60 miles away, local hospital 9 blocks away and they life flighted me to civilian hospital to do heart surgery.Bill was $55,000, I paid $0. I can't remember but I believe the cutoff is $24,000 income.Once they know that you are aware of the program their amensia goes away.Lots of information on the net about the program. Like I mentioned before my dad was aware of program, but was to stubborn to do it.Ambulence drivers are suppose to take you to nearest hospital no matter what you want.lol If he would have listen to me, he'd still be here driving me nuts.lol Thanks Brother for covering my Backside!! Glad this info was helpful to you!! Mike