Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Insomnia

Rate this question

Armyvet1987

Question

Hey guys, I just wanted to know more details about sleep insomnia. In my claim I listed sleep insomnia for one of my disabilities but I just thought about it and didn't have any sort of C&P for sleep insomnia.While deployed I was doing guntruck missions when an IED hit our truck and ever since then I wasn't able to sleep right,(not to mention the firefights and other IEDs that hit us) When I got back from the mission my CO made me go get it checked out and I did. It was all documented and the VA has all my medical records. So I guess my question is will they rate me for it or just deny me, the only thing the VA has done about my sleeping is give me "Quetiapine Fumarate" . Thanks guys.

Chronic sleep impairment is a symptom supporting 30% rating under Mental Health schedule of ratings. It can support a Depression or Anxiety rating and is NOT a pulmonary issue like Apnea

Edited by bakerkd

I dont know if "insomnia" is the same thing as "sleep impairment"...maybe they are the same, and rated under mental health disorders

as Baker suggested. It would be worth looking into.

Big Red

There are lots of posts on getting sleep Apnea, with the use of a CPAP rated. If you use a CPAP and IF it is service connected, its at 50 % disabling. Mostly, you need a nexus statement from a doc if you are using a CPAP, or, I think some people get OSA secondary to other conditions. I have found it to be very tough to get service connection for OSA, especially for VN Vets, because we did not know what OSA was back in the 70s. Newer Vets sometimes get diagnosed with OSA in service, tho.

I dont know if "insomnia" is the same thing as "sleep impairment"...maybe they are the same, and rated under mental health disorders

as Baker suggested. It would be worth looking into.

Big Red

There are lots of posts on getting sleep Apnea, with the use of a CPAP rated. If you use a CPAP and IF it is service connected, its at 50 % disabling. Mostly, you need a nexus statement from a doc if you are using a CPAP, or, I think some people get OSA secondary to other conditions. I have found it to be very tough to get service connection for OSA, especially for VN Vets, because we did not know what OSA was back in the 70s. Newer Vets sometimes get diagnosed with OSA in service, tho.

I guess your right, us VN era vets weren't in touch with our inner selves back then.lol I should have known that 100 guys in a barrack that there maybe one or two that might snore as loud as a DC8. And all this time I thought I couldn't sleep was because of the snoring and the fact that those insensitive bastards known as Drill Sergants kept waking us up for silly reasons.lol I can just imagine what life would of have been like if we would of pissed and moaned back then like they do nowadays. Our forefathers would probably put alot of people out of their miseries as compared to what life was like a 100 years ago. Most people would never survive those times.Back then we only went to medical if we were seriously sick or injured.Hell taking basic at Ft Lewis Wa we all were sick from playing in the rain and if you weren't in pain some where on your body, you weren't trying. Oh well, thats life!!

I guess your right, us VN era vets weren't in touch with our inner selves back then.lol I should have known that 100 guys in a barrack that there maybe one or two that might snore as loud as a DC8. And all this time I thought I couldn't sleep was because of the snoring and the fact that those insensitive bastards known as Drill Sergants kept waking us up for silly reasons.lol I can just imagine what life would of have been like if we would of pissed and moaned back then like they do nowadays. Our forefathers would probably put alot of people out of their miseries as compared to what life was like a 100 years ago. Most people would never survive those times.Back then we only went to medical if we were seriously sick or injured.Hell taking basic at Ft Lewis Wa we all were sick from playing in the rain and if you weren't in pain some where on your body, you weren't trying. Oh well, thats life!!

Bigred,

When you judge others - it is usually found to be offensive, as is this post.

How about if others around here were to start passing judgement and posting

that anyone that got Hep C from VAMC medical treatment (as you have claimed)

is just a sissy with a bs claim - (even if under 1151) - and they just need to man up

and get on with their life and not overload the system with their frivolous claim.

Would you find that offensive ?

I don't think big red was talking about manning up about the sleep apnea, rather talking about basic and how it has turned into a sissy program compared to earlier days.

I don't think big red was talking about manning up about the sleep apnea, rather talking about basic and how it has turned into a sissy program compared to earlier days.

Your right Mama Bear! I make fun of the system not the people in the system like some do here. To me Service Connected is something like getting wounded, blown up, you know the obvious shit. All this hypothecial shyt is just a product of what is wrong with this world. Kids use to be able to play games get hurt, you kissed their boo boos and you sent them back out to play again. Now we over protect them to death to the point that they can't deal with lifes up and downs.They don't want to work, they want the world to hand them everything.

The VA cases are back logged from people filing for claims that have no merit or proof. They claim to have Hep C from a surgery transfusion.Yet they have never had Hep C,never had a transfusion and them and their lawyers know the truth.And they play the game all the way up the point that they find out they can go to jail for lying to the feds at a hearing do they finally drop their case. I couldn't tell you how many like this I have read. I couldn't believe how many crooked lawyers or Doctors for hire that I have come across researching cases.

Hoppy, Broncovet and one of the Petes have been alot of help to me and it is much appreciated. The critics don't matter, their just bitter people with real problems.I just ignore them. Carrie, whether you believe me or not does not bother me one little bit. Fellow Vets, these people are not experts in any fields other than the field of life. So understand that up front and you will be just fine. They do have many years of experience dealing with the system tho. And this experience can be very helpful when you gleen out the BS and the prejudice. But don't expect them to have all the answers, they don't. Each persons case is unique and the VA for the most part judges them that way.What works for one will not necessarily work for another.Read about 50 cases on the topic that addresses your disability and you will see that for yourself.Awww nothing better than a cup of coffee and some Flat screen Neoplam to start the week off.lol