VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back Pain - Has Anyone Used An Inversion Table?

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

I have back pain and a numb burning sensation on the left side of my thigh mostly when I lay down, but sometimes when I am sitting. It feels like something is out of whack and was just wondering if any of you have used inversion table and if you have had any luck with it?

I used one for a short period of time, and would have kept using it except my knees are shot and there was no way to keep the pressure from pulling on my knee joints. My back and neck always felt better afterwards.

We got one of the ones that cost about $120.00, and it worked just fine. A lot of second hand/used sporting goods stores have them, and a lot on ebay or craigslist

• In Memoriam

I had gravity boots. You put them on and hang like a bat from a sationary post put in the doorway. Kind of hand like a bat. Blood rushed to my head and gave me a headache. Then my breathing problems became worst. This was about 15 years ago since I used it. It did stretch the spine, but just transferred the pain somewhere else. Sure seemed like a good idea. I have the boots hanging in my garage. It it all dependent on the amount of pain that can be tolerated.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The best results I had were from traction units during physical therapy. Not the ones which require manual use, but the ones which pull and release automatically. I thought about inversion, but my doc recommended against it because due to the nature of my injuries. I still haven't purchased something for home use yet...

I used one prior to spinal surgery. A little relief. The tables are cool. once you have it setup right, you can tilt upside down to right side up just by moving an arm. It works by adjusting to your height and weight. Head pressure can be uncomfortable at times, so make sure someone is with you when you use it, in case you pass out.

The nice thing about the gravity tables is you can adjust them to how much you want to recline. You can start with a very small amount of tilt, a little past horizontal and then you can adjust them to go lower as you get used to it. You do not have to set it to tilt you completely upside down.

After I could no longer use it because of my knees, I sold it on craigslist for about $10 less than what we paid for it.

I also have used gravity inversion boots. While I think they are a help for some things, my guess would be if it is a muscle issue, one may consider physical therapy/exercise. This is what helped my knees the most.

IMHO, the idea of the inversion table is to stretch and exercise those muscles. I think a few of the chiropracters may use them, and maybe the VA would (gee, I dont know for sure) pay for chiropractic care? I have had good luck with chiropracters for back pain.