Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Medicine

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Its my opinion and I want to get it off my chest.

The VA is a blessing to some but a large disappointment to many. The VA practices half assed medicine or what I call crisis attention with little or no follow up. Sure hen you are so sick you get into hospital. For a Veteran to get good care in my opinion they have to fight for it. The VA should be in the business of helping Veterans live longer and better lives. Every time I go to VA its sad cause I see so many Veterans not doing well and just going through the motions to obtain meds and some kind of care. A rationed system with poor management, long waits, medicine on the cheap using stop gap measures.

Sorry for my rant but I feel better now.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't want to trust my health to a system whose goal is to save money for the taxpayers at my expense. The bean counters are in charge.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

bump

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Your rant has more truth than many expect.

I have really FUBAR knees that have constant pain & swelling. The pain keeps me immobile most of the time and the swelling cause me to have to lay down, so my circulation isn't so great. My private doctor ordered the compression stockings (TEDS) which are about $100 a pair at the medical store for the kind he Rx. At Rite Aid a cheap pair is $45-50. I called my VA health care team and asked if my PCP there, who I have never met, would order 2 pair. She told me that the VAMC no longer carries those except for surgical reasons, and that I can find them fairly cheap at Wal-Mart. HUH?

A service connected injury is going to cause me to go out and buy medical equipment or supplies??? I said "What"? She then explained the VAMC was trying to save money. I almost started laughing. The flash through my mind was all the Veterans with Diabetes who need these so they won't lose their toes and feet, the Veterans with deep vein thrombosis who could throw a clot any time, and all the Veterans with neuropathy, and those like me with CRPS in the knees. I couldn't freakin' believe it.

So I asked her if the doctor could order a pair through prosthetics, or Fee basis and purchase them from a medical supply store. She ho'd and hum'd for a couple of seconds and then she said she could try. I mentioned the many different types of conditions that require these ans she gave me the, Oh I know, well I don't think she does if she is telling Veterans to go buy them out of their pocket when she knew fully well that she could have the doctor order them and I would get them from a medical supply store.

The VA probably pays a good price from distributers for these stockings, but I have no doubt that the fee is well over 2x that they would pay by ordering them through a medical supplier who also has to see the Veteran to measure them for the TEDS. Does anyone think this is actually saving any money???????

Every time I visit this VAMC the counter for check in has at least 3 people working it. I have never even had to stand in line at the counter because every time I go there is no one in line and there is always 2-3 of these VA employees doing nothing, with the exception of bitching about Veterans calling theier extension and then how they put them on hold and never pick up again. I overheard a guy saying that and after I wrote down his name he said he was just kidding so I told him it was the funniest thing I ever heard. A VA employee answering the phone and placing a disabled Veteran on hold, because they are calling them trying to get an appointment to see their doctor, or get their medication fixed, shoot, that is funny. He should be the first cut in the VA cost saving measures.

• HadIt.com Elder

To borrow an old line from you Pete. Meds By Mail Sucks.

Do you remember. dont let it get you down my friend.

In my opinion, mass produced controlled health care on behalf of the VA is a good thing for some, but for others it can be a miserable situation.

For those who have to use the VA, You have to do this. For those who have other insurance, You are the lucky ones. for now at least until something takes full effect and we all are going to be in rationed care.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Its my opinion and I want to get it off my chest.

The VA is a blessing to some but a large disappointment to many...

...Sorry for my rant but I feel better now.

Please allow me to join in on your rant... #*?+#*%!

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

• HadIt.com Elder

To borrow an old line from you Pete. Meds By Mail Sucks.

Do you remember. dont let it get you down my friend.

That's my mantra also, however, sometimes it gets ridicules...

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"