Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When Vso & Vet Not Communicating

Rate this question

autumn

Question

when a vet feels a vso/pva isn't communicating, then what?

vso hasn't returned calls to questions in over 2 weeks. secretary says this, says that, i told vso you called, etc. very well could be a good reason why no phone calls returned. he was traveling they said, then he was sick, then he was busy visiting hospitals, etc. but it leaves me a bit weary.

whom does a vet turn to then?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is a good example of why I think that Veterans sometimes need attorneys. My VSO doesnt return calls either, and I have been trying to get a hold of him for 3 weeks.

You see, there is something to this "You get what you pay for" thing. This is the "cost" you are paying for a "free" VSO. Do you think poor communication is going to help your claim? I doubt it.

You see, if you were paying a lawyer hundred or thousands of dollars, he would have a secretary, as a minimum, (probably para legal) to answer your questions, and even do most things for you. You would get calls returned, because the lawyer cant afford to lose a client.

A VSO does not give a rip if he looses a client.

There is a whole different attitude when you are paying for something. This guy (lawyer) is your "employee" and takes orders from you..you can fire him. However, VSO is more like a volunteer, so if you dont like his volunteer help, then drop dead.

Beleive it or not, the cheapest does not always turn out to be the smartest. Sometimes, the bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Most of the time, attorney's earn their money. You have no problem paying a doctor fees because he has spent big bucks on his education. Likewise, why would you want a low quality untrained person to be responsible to get you your benefits for the rest of your life.

As, I beleive it was testvet said, 80% of something is more than 100% of nothing. There is even a chance you hire an attorney and wind up getting him free...because if the VA screws up bad, and you know they do, then EAJA may have to pay lawyer fees.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco

You know I agree with that. We vets waited decades to be able to get lawyers to represent us at the RO and BVA levels and now some vets think they don't want to pay to win claims because the money is theirs. Yes, the money from a claim is yours, but you have to get it. People have just got to go and read some of these CAVC cases to see how badly the BVA and RO's screw up and what kinds of legal gymnastics it takes to win these cases. When your claim says John Doe vs Shinseki that means you against all the resources of the United States mint. The VA has lawyers that have done hundreds of claims for Uncle. This is who you are up against with your old VSO who has two hundred cases on his desk.

I don't have much choice,, the vso's are overwhelmed, and the lawyers refuse to give the time and contact to get my info to them... I even asked a lawyer and they told me to only mail my documents and they could not talk in person.. my case is complicated and too many docments to fax, or put in an evelope,, and explain....

They lawyers have no tact in discussing issues, they just want an easy case...

mine in 100% winnable.. it's just the VA is Deny Deny until they die and the VSO's have thousands of people begging for help..

We depend on a VSO, and if they type one word wrong, or don't use the proper workding, then the vet suffers,, and evenif the problem is corrected it takes ears to clear it up because the VA refuses to talk to vets until a face-2-face 3 years later..

what a crappy mess!

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't have much choice,, the vso's are overwhelmed, and the lawyers refuse to give the time and contact to get my info to them...

As I understand your situation, you are in a holding pattern, waiting for an appeal decision from BVA, after a DRO review, 'retiredat44'. Is that correct?

Hang in there,

C.B.

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

I would call that pva's office and explain the situation to who ever is taking the phone messages, every other day, if need be, until the rep gets back to you. The rep may already be aware of your situation, however you should be shown the courtesy of a returned phone call...

My best wishes for your health and claim,and my most positive thoughts are with you.

Cmdr.Bob

thanks for the reply. i'm going to start a new thread for me, someting along DIY so i can pickup the ball and run with it. if PVA wants to help fine if not so be it. can't wait and wait and wait.

• HadIt.com Elder

thanks for the reply. i'm going to start a new thread for me, someting along DIY so i can pickup the ball and run with it. if PVA wants to help fine if not so be it. can't wait and wait and wait.

Excellent idea 'autumn'. You are your best advocate. Especially with a little help from your friends...

Good Luck,

Cmdr. Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"