Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going To The Ro

Rate this question

Susan

Question

I am making my first trip to the RO on Monday morning. I already know to get the date and time stamp on all documents that I hand deliver and get copies. I am hoping to physically look at my deceased husbands C-file. I do not have an appointment. This is Waco RO. Does anyone think that might happen? Any tips on how to handle the situation if they automatically try to discourage me from seeing the C-file. It is a three hour drive to the RO. I want to be prepared for what might ruin my chances and what might help. One post had mentioned OIG if all else fails. Do I ask for the phone number of OIG or do I need that before I go?

Should be an A/O Nehmer widow (but not recognized yet). Will be soon. Will be grateful for any help. Thanks!!

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, you could try my Dad's trick. He always asks for the manager...(the boss). You see, if you talk to someone who is NOT the boss, then they always say, "Well, I will talk to the manager and see what he says"...that will be the end of it.

You need to talk to the boss...express your concerns concisely, and, remember you get more flies with honey than vinegar. Try to word it in a positive way, something like this, tho dont lie.

"Hi...I appreciate the work you have done on (Dons claim)....I know this is difficult for you, too. ...Im so glad I got to talk to you..it sounds like YOU have made real progresss......

I do have a few questions:

How soon do you expect it to be complete?

ETC. ETC.

If you go in there telling them how wrong they are and how bad they are, you may find your file in "file 13"...permanently. Believe me, they can sabatoge your claim..and get away with it scott free.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco

The boss is usually part of the problem at Waco that is

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck tomorrow Susan... Is the NVLSP still helping you with your claim? I am confident that you have done your homework first. From your previous posts here at HADIT, you have demonstrated you know your way around the bureaucratic world and you will not be spinning your wheels when seeking the needed C-file information.

Best wishes,

C.B.

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

Thank you C.B. and everyone with suggestions. The trip went well. The C-file was not there,at least that is what I was told. That is okay. (Good news is it is supposed to be located where I had already asked for it). A lawyer has reviewed the C-file already. I did get all the papers submitted. Everyone was polite, friendly, and helpful. The wait time was very short. Waited perhaps fifteen minutes and spent 20 minutes or so with the counselor. The waiting room was moving at a smooth pace for everyone. Some people came out after their meetings and remarked as though they were getting the runaround. Not surprised at that.

The counselor made statements to me like "What I have a problem with is........"

The counselor told me that it looked "scarey to them" as to whether I would be a surviving spouse.

I feel those statements should not be made to me or to anyone else. Especially when Nehmer guidelines state otherwise. Yes, NVLSP is reviewing my claim.

I agree with John999 and Carlie that when someone wants to see their C-file, it is best to make an appointment. I went to the RO knowing that I would probably not see the file (eleven years after Don passed away). Delivering the paperwork as advised and just going to the RO was my agenda.

Bronco, thanks for the heads up on being polite and positive. That helped and I remained calm and collected.

Brokensoldier244th and S.Hardin have good points about not pulling the file while a claim is in progress and also about the VSO and a claim being offsite. All are important to think about.

I will keep you updated.

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally, you need an appointment to review the c-file. They are required to sit w/you, while you review it, and need to schedule a person to do that. They cannot allow you access w/o someone supervising, for fear you'll add or remove something from the file.

For yrs I've heard the Waco VARO is the worst and in fact, so bad that, some vets took out billboards posting how bad they were.

pr