Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Service Records

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

This is important, or critical, if you are seeking an Earlier Effective Date. Why? Because if you REOPEN the claim, the earliest date you can get is the date you reopened the claim. However, if there were missing service records on your decision, that means you can get a MUCH earlier date:

38 CFR 3.156 C:

© Service department records. (1) Notwithstanding any other section in this part, at any time after VA issues a decision on a claim, if VA receives or associates with the claims file relevant official service department records that existed and had not been associated with the claims file when VA first decided the claim, VA will reconsider the claim, notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this section. Such records include, but are not limited to: (i) Service records that are related to a claimed in-service event, injury, or disease, regardless of whether such records mention the veteran by name, as long as the other requirements of paragraph © of this section are met; (ii) Additional service records forwarded by the Department of Defense or the service department to VA any time after VA's original request for service records; and (iii) Declassified records that could not have been obtained because the records were classified when VA decided the claim. (2) Paragraph ©(1) of this section does not apply to records that VA could not have obtained when it decided the claim because the records did not exist when VA decided the claim, or because the claimant failed to provide sufficient information for VA to identify and obtain the records from the respective service department, the Joint Services Records Research Center, or from any other official source. (3) An award made based all or in part on the records identified by paragraph ©(1) of this section is effective on the date entitlement arose or the date VA received the previously decided claim, whichever is later, or such other date as may be authorized by the provisions of this part applicable to the previously decided claim. (4) A retroactive evaluation of disability resulting from disease or injury subsequently service connected on the basis of the new evidence from the service department must be supported adequately by medical evidence. Where such records clearly support the assignment of a specific rating over a part or the entire period of time involved, a retroactive evaluation will be assigned accordingly, except as it may be affected by the filing date of the original claim.

• Answers 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ok it is what I understood it to be, mucho gras! Sometimes I get confused with the lingo written on some of these regs. ha

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

§ 3.157 Report of examination or hospitalization as claim for increase or to reopen.

(a) General. Effective date of pension or compensation benefits, if otherwise in order, will be the date of receipt of a claim or the date when entitlement arose, whichever is the later. A report of examination or hospitalization which meets the requirements of this section will be accepted as an informal claim for benefits under an existing law or for benefits under a liberalizing law or Department of Veterans Affairs issue, if the report relates to a disability which may establish entitlement. Acceptance of a report of examination or treatment as a claim for increase or to reopen is subject to the requirements of §3.114 with respect to action on Department of Veterans Affairs initiative or at the request of the claimant and the payment of retroactive benefits from the date of the report or for a period of 1 year prior to the date of receipt of the report.

IMHO, I think if a veteran files a claim within one year of hospitalization or treatment examination of being diagnosed with a particular condition that meets a certain rating percentage, I believe the veteran can get an earlier effective date. I may be wrong

This is important, or critical, if you are seeking an Earlier Effective Date. Why? Because if you REOPEN the claim, the earliest date you can get is the date you reopened the claim. However, if there were missing service records on your decision, that means you can get a MUCH earlier date:

38 CFR 3.156 C:

© Service department records. (1) Notwithstanding any other section in this part, at any time after VA issues a decision on a claim, if VA receives or associates with the claims file relevant official service department records that existed and had not been associated with the claims file when VA first decided the claim, VA will reconsider the claim, notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this section. Such records include, but are not limited to: (i) Service records that are related to a claimed in-service event, injury, or disease, regardless of whether such records mention the veteran by name, as long as the other requirements of paragraph © of this section are met; (ii) Additional service records forwarded by the Department of Defense or the service department to VA any time after VA's original request for service records; and (iii) Declassified records that could not have been obtained because the records were classified when VA decided the claim. (2) Paragraph ©(1) of this section does not apply to records that VA could not have obtained when it decided the claim because the records did not exist when VA decided the claim, or because the claimant failed to provide sufficient information for VA to identify and obtain the records from the respective service department, the Joint Services Records Research Center, or from any other official source. (3) An award made based all or in part on the records identified by paragraph ©(1) of this section is effective on the date entitlement arose or the date VA received the previously decided claim, whichever is later, or such other date as may be authorized by the provisions of this part applicable to the previously decided claim. (4) A retroactive evaluation of disability resulting from disease or injury subsequently service connected on the basis of the new evidence from the service department must be supported adequately by medical evidence. Where such records clearly support the assignment of a specific rating over a part or the entire period of time involved, a retroactive evaluation will be assigned accordingly, except as it may be affected by the filing date of the original claim.

OK, let me see if I hae this correct. I have a statement on my 1998 claim stating that if service records are located at a later date they will reconsider this claim. so, I sent in a copy of this claim with the statement highlight, but I did not state the CFR above. so do I wait and see what happen or send in a document refer to the CFR.

Reddit

It sounds like you have it about right.

If you have been awarded benefits, but you think you should have gotten them for an earlier effective date, then you need to appeal the decision, stating that you are entiltled to an EED based on 38 CFR 3.156 C, as the RO did not consider your Service medical records which were missing at the time. However, your SMR's have been located, demonstrating that you had the condition back in 1998, when you first applied, as documented by your SMR's. Something like that.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete992

You are right because I did it. I was hospitalized in August 2001. I filed for TDIU in February 2002. When I finally was awarded TDIU with a date of 2/2002 I appealed and got an EED of 8/2001. The VA granted my appeal based on the date of my hospitalization and since that was the last day I worked.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

How does the VA determine if records did not exist when a decision was made? Do they simply check the C-file to see if the records are present?

I am curious because the 'evidence' section in my decision letters usually say something like "Service treatment records dated {start date} through {end date}" It seems like the VA is trying to cover their bases by enveloping a date range and saying, 'yeah, we have those records'.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.