Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help If You Can

Rate this question

spcsumrall

Question

I was discharged in Apr. 2007 for Axis-1 Bipolar. I did not even know about the VA and what they do for vets until Sep. 2010 which is when I called and researched everything. So I filed early in September for SC Dis. Compensation and TDIU also pension, basically everything available. I have been unable to work since I lost my job in Jun. 2010 for being Bipolar with an extreme Anxiety condition. I was checked into a hospital for my condition and they summed it up as I should NOT have been working and that would explain why i have had literally 13 jobs since 2007. I submitted all forms I had including the diagnosis from a military doctor while in service official DA DOC stating Axis-1 Bipolar. So to bring it all together I have been off work for over 13 months now. I have 2 civilian doctors stating it is ptsd and bipolar with generalized anxiety disorder, and major depression and agoraphobia and I know from experience I am in no condition to work because sometimes I am suicidal, violent, and obscenely aggressive when uncomfortable. Now my family is hitting hard times, I do not have any family support system at all. I have sold everything I own other than personal items just to make ends meet. So I had an exam by a doctor back in may. I am not sure if this was c&p exam or not, she checked my reflexes and asked some personal questions, and said I could go. I gave her information on my mental state and she wrote it down but it seems all she was worried about was physical. So now I am within 16 days of being delinquent on my rent. My bills are set to turn off before then and I have no money at all whatsoever. My bank account is dramatically negative. I received a VCAA letter stating a decision will be made in 30 days after i sent them the last 2 forms. I IMMEDIATELY got them the forms by-mail checked and delivered to my regional VA office as of the 1st of July 2011. Also enclosed was my letter of hardship and all bills to support it. I was told by a rep over the phone it could still take 90 days. I know they are not supposed to give time frames because of all the variables, however I do not have 90 days and that makes my position feel even more bleak. So I called and called and finally got through to someone and they informed me of the American legion and TFA grant. Filled it on July 12th out and still no response. My situation has become desperate as I do not want to see my family in the homeless shelter. I just need someone, anyone, to evaluate the information given and see if there is anything I can do or am not doing. The VA has confirmed on 3 accounts they have absolutely everything they need. Also I am open to constructive criticism as well as any advice you can give. Kind words help to, just need re-assuring. I'm afraid and lost. It has become too much for us to bear. Thank you in advance

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have considered finding a lawyer but I'm gonna give it the 30 days the VCAA letter stated and see if a decision has been made. I don't wanna push too hard I just want to speak with people who have been through similar situations. I received a General: under honorable conditions. My physicals were basically average, seeing as the condition is mental related that would probably not be where they're looking. I don't have my discharge physical anymore. I have lost alot of paperwork, but I do however have my service medical records and they have been given to the VA as requested. It clearly states Axis-1 bipolar. I also have medical records from private or non-military doctors to concur that the condition has worsened, as I have been hospitalized 2 times for major depression, bipolar, generalized anxiety disorder, and PTSD. They all point to my service as the reason, as I was not this way before. And I have submitted all the documents the VA has requested.

Getting a lawyer will not speed up the process. You will have better luck contacting your congressman/woman. Explain the hardship to that person. The 30 days sited in your letter means nothing. It is in every letter sent out. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

sharon is 100 percent right.

Don't be counting on getting any decision in 30 days.

My opinion is you will be fortunate if you receive a decision

within six months.

JMHO

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

Did the army say you were discharged due to prior medical condition? I don't understand why you got general under honorable unless they decided you had a personality disorder or pre-existing medical and were unsuitable for military service. If you were discharged for a medical condition you should have gotten a medical discharge. Bi-polar is a medical condition. Did the army say you had bi-polar before you enlisted and discharge you for that? What you have to show is that military service made that condition worse. Were you in combat? The army likes to play games if they can hang some pre-existing condition on you instead of admitting that they accepted you as whole and then when you have breakdown that it was pre-existing. You have bigger burden because you did not file within one year of discharge. You can still win this thing but you have to wait. If you are lost I would try and consult a lawyer especially if you have bi-polar symptoms. This is probably why you did not get around to filing until two years after discharge.

• Founder

Here is a link to the Vet Centers in OK http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/state.asp?State=OK&dnum=ALL If one is close call them and explain the financial dire straights you are in and ask them if they know of anything that can assist you. They are usually plugged into community services.

If you aren't close to a Vet Center I suggest calling your VA Medical Center and ask for the Social Work department and see if a Social Worker can assist you.

With your anxiety issues this is going to be a difficult time for you. I wish I could give you more hope, but it is not uncommon for it to be a year or more before you receive a decision, I know that is not what you want to hear, but I want you to know what you maybe facing. If you haven't gotten a psychologist at the VA yet now would be a good time to get one. You will need help with your anxiety as you wait, just my humble opinion.

It's not fair, It is what it is.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

It is kind of complicated as the reason I got out. I had received an article 15 in January 2007. I served my punishment and eventually got re-promoted to e-4 then I was continuously harassed and belittled till the point of mental breakdown. After I told the military psychiatric doctor he diagnosed me with bi-polar, with anxiety condition. I was in service when that happened. It was obvious to everyone I was not like this before I joined, including my fiance who was with me for four years before I joined. The reason I got a general under honorable circumstances is because they put the article 15 as one of the reasons for discharge, despite me having served my punishment and having already been re promoted. The other reason plainly stated on my dd214 was axis-1 bipolar. and the article 15 could be argued as a direct result of being bipolar, it's just I was not diagnosed yet so they took it as direct disobedience. I was a good soldier before the trouble, afterward I was labeled a lousy soldier by our battalion CO. and he did everything in his power to make my life terrible, and constantly badgering me making me admit stuff I didn't do just so he could have someone to put stuff over on. My NCO was a lousy soldier, always drinking alcohol and taking naps and sending me to do all the work. Tells you something when they have been in the army 25 years and still E-5. I never served in combat. That does not mean I did not develop an issue. I was unnecessarily punished for other peoples mistakes, made to sleep only 1-1.5 hours a night for over 2 months. There were other things that happened that are between me and my therapist I do not wish to disclose but needless to say, it was a devastating and changed my life forever. I just want people to understand I am not looking for a handout. I don't think 2 therapist plus the 1 in service would make up diagnosis that directly points to military service as the reason i am unable to work. period. And it seems like it would be really difficult to call it pre-existing considering i was diagnosed in service and have only required treatment after service and absolutely no documented cases or symptoms before joining. So how could they call it pre-existing? My fiance and other people have been asked to submit their views, which they have, all concurring with time in service being the time I "changed for the worse"