Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

After Going Through The Process, What Would You Have Done Differently In Your Claim?

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

After going through the process, what would you have done differently in your claim? Whether you won or lost, appealed, etc... what would you had done differently, in hindsight, when you did the whole process of your disability claim?

Myself, (I was advised to do this, while I had already started the process and was in the first denial, I was advised of doing things I should have done at the get go..):

I would have led them by the hand with everything, no matter how easy, how simple, how easily understood, even by a monkey, I would have spelled out every step, every issue, every minute detail.

Even though the medical records showed what I ended up stating during the ongoing appeal.. I would have stated everything..

Even though I relied on my (VSO) Veterans Service Officer, to type out my claim, and spell out why I was filing my claim and what conditions. My VSO did not elaborate all my duties. I was stupid in thinking the VA had complete job descriptions. My VSO left out many details of my jobs and what my conditions are.

I waited too long. I also should have appealed some issues denied in my first claims filed in the 1990's. As they festered and go much worse with time. I should have filed as soon as I got my first day out of the hospital in 2008. I could not walk, but I could have gone in a wheel chair to my VSO or VA claims office, and a ride from someone.

I tried working with VSO who did not have time to help me. I should have just filed on my own instead of waiting for appointments that took many months.

MY biggest mistakes were trying to get help from others who didn't do their job as good as they should, fill paperwork as wel as they should, or invest in time for me in a timeley manner. I also did not correct the mistakes fast enough, I really gave the VA claims too much credit thinking they actually cared, they could give a rats ass. Their only goal is to deny deny until they die. I relied on others. IN some fairness to myslef, I was put through hell, pumped full; of drugs and literally drieven mad from a huge nightmare from a long stay in the hosptial fighting for my life. I was and stil am very traumatized. I was even sent for professional help, the doctors felt I had gone through so much hell, they made me get help. Then trying to go throug legal stuff with the VA screwing me at at turn, just made it to difficult to get through the process without help. I was in such bad shape, I was uanble to feed myself, hold things, walk, and even talking was extremely difficult. I hads no muscles left to move body parts. Timne wwas being wasted while waiting for help. Even while in line at the VA claims counter, I needed help, and they treated me like crap.

I look back and still see things I could have handled better, and should have won my claim without needing appeals...

Edited by retiredat44

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would have taken the Form 9 and stuffed it down the VSO mouth, represented myself before I did, not waited so long to go into hospital & probably lived on a PTSD Ward. Then on Tuesday I would have........

I had the good initilal fortune to have a VSO that knew what he was doing and cared. After Gene went back into retirement, I would have been better served doing things myself. If your claim looks good enough to attract a reputable attorney I would go that route. But I would look over their shoulder and remember that they work for you, not the other way around.

After going through the process, what would you have done differently in your claim? Whether you won or lost, appealed, etc... what would you had done differently, in hindsight, when you did the whole process of your disability claim?

Myself, (I was advised to do this, while I had already started the process and was in the first denial, I was advised of doing things I should have done at the get go..):

I would have led them by the hand with everything, no matter how easy, how simple, how easily understood, even by a monkey, I would have spelled out every step, every issue, every minute detail.

Even though the medical records showed what I ended up stating during the ongoing appeal.. I would have stated everything..

Even though I relied on my (VSO) Veterans Service Officer, to type out my claim, and spell out why I was filing my claim and what conditions. My VSO did not elaborate all my duties. I was stupid in thinking the VA had complete job descriptions. My VSO left out many details of my jobs and what my conditions are.

I waited too long. I also should have appealed some issues denied in my first claims filed in the 1990's. As they festered and go much worse with time. I should have filed as soon as I got my first day out of the hospital in 2008. I could not walk, but I could have gone in a wheel chair to my VSO or VA claims office, and a ride from someone.

I tried working with VSO who did not have time to help me. I should have just filed on my own instead of waiting for appointments that took many months.

MY biggest mistakes were trying to get help from others who didn't do their job as good as they should, fill paperwork as wel as they should, or invest in time for me in a timeley manner. I also did not correct the mistakes fast enough, I really gave the VA claims too much credit thinking they actually cared, they could give a rats ass. Their only goal is to deny deny until they die. I relied on others. IN some fairness to myslef, I was put through hell, pumped full; of drugs and literally drieven mad from a huge nightmare from a long stay in the hosptial fighting for my life. I was and stil am very traumatized. I was even sent for professional help, the doctors felt I had gone through so much hell, they made me get help. Then trying to go throug legal stuff with the VA screwing me at at turn, just made it to difficult to get through the process without help. I was in such bad shape, I was uanble to feed myself, hold things, walk, and even talking was extremely difficult. I hads no muscles left to move body parts. Timne wwas being wasted while waiting for help. Even while in line at the VA claims counter, I needed help, and they treated me like crap.

I look back and still see things I could have handled better, and should have won my claim without needing appeals...

Hindsight can cause bitterness.

The grief I went through with both VA and Social Security should be unnecessary for working folks who've been told, "We've got your back."

That being said - all you can do is the best you know at the time.

I never expected to become an amateur attorney to win SSDI before the ALJ.

The most positive outcome from hindsight is how we can better advise others.

I say don't put your fate entirely in the hands of others. They may do the initial filing but you should research and pursue your claims as a full-time job.

Good luck! :smile:

• HadIt.com Elder

When getting my hubby his benefits, we initially left it up to the VA to figure out what he should claim. BIG MISTAKE! We should have claimed anything and everything that affected him.

We also did not do much organizing of material, no connecting the dots regarding their Schedule of Ratings and the medical documents. again BIG MISTAKE!

We did not research medications and present the side effects. again BIG MISTAKE!

We did not write a long report on his problems, physical, mental, whatever. again BIG MISTAKE!

But when the NOD was necessary, that is when I did all the things we should have done earlier. As a result, SUCCESS! and that is, of course, how my website came to be.

I didn't want others to have to struggle like we originally did if we could give some suggestions in advance.

I think it pays to be organized and leave NOTHING up to hoping someone sees it. Present it all so it can't be missed should be a motto when working to get a claim through VA.

www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com

A free guide for researching, organizing and assembling a va claim. Now upgraded to include suggestions for VONAPP and Social Security Disability.

• HadIt.com Elder

My biggest mistake after getting letter every two months from VA was not telling them to rate the claim with the evidence they have.

What I did right was I got an Independent Medical Exam that linked my condition to service, I provided evidence that supported my claim and I showed that my condition stayed with me after I left service till I filed my claim.

But perhaps my biggest mistake was trusting VA to help me with my claim.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.